Very hot water

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
qwerty2007

Very hot water

Post by qwerty2007 »

Pulling an all-nighter because of finals (3 more tomorrow/today... wish me luck!) and I couldn't concentrate on my studying because of my legs. It was terrible. So much so that they started to ache really bad (which happens sometimes, but not to this extent. I'm sure it was the lack of sleep that irritated them... which is kind of ironic because the RLS causes lack of sleep most of the time.).

Anyway, I couldn't concentrate because my legs were acting up really bad so I decided to place my legs in the shower and turn on really hot water. The way our bathroom is set up is that there isn't a bathtub, just a shower. So I laid my body outside of the shower, with my legs inside. I just laid there for about 45 minutes and it was heaven.

Back home, I've tried soaking my legs in bath water but that doesn't really help. I think the shower method works really well because it's hitting your legs. It's not static. But the water is still hot so it relaxes them.

Anyway, I have a bit more studying before my 8am final today. I just thoguht I'd share this with you guys. I think I found my new favorite form of relaxation. I'm not sure how my roommates would respond if they found out I was doing that, lol. It just seems really weird. :) Give it a try, it might give you guys some relief.

-J

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Glad you got some relief.
I also have used water tho I prefer to have it icy cold on my legs. Sometimes the shower, sometimes a big bucket of really cold water, feet it, and splash up as far as you can. It works for me.
Thankfully not needed recently as my meds are helping. But as a non-med its pretty good.

Best wishes for your finals.... then you can relax over christmas - rls permitting :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I got some decent relief from soaking in a tub.. But I always used Epsom salt when I did that, so maybe you should try that next time.

I also think the key is that you need to actually be in the tub, and not just your legs.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hey: About the hot baths. Before I was on meds. that relieved my RLS. When I was desperate, I would run the bath tub full of water, as hot as I could stand it, and it was so great. It was the only way I could get any relief. My husband would always worry that I would fall asleep and drown. Sometimes I would be in the tub at 3, 4 or 5 am. I was always "really" clean. I was surprised when I read posts, where RLSers would use very cold water, I thought that sounded miserable. But for RLSers, what ever "floats your boat". Wish you all "a good nights sleep"
BETTY/WV
BTW: Did anyone ever feel the sensation that when the RLS stopped, it was like, (for me) someone turning off a switch. Interested in knowing if anyone else felt this way.
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, it was like the flick of a switch for me too.
I loved it when that happened. Bliss..... just to feel normal for a little while.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah, almost immediately after getting in, it would stop. Although it would come back very soon after getting out, which sucked.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I almost hate this method. You're soooooo tired. You get in the bath. You do fall asleep because the RLS is gone. The water cools, you heat it again. Eventually you're tired of being a prune and you get out.

You dry off, put lotion all over, start to cool off, have to dry your hair.....and the RLS is back.

You cry.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Me Again: Seems like, we RLSers "cry" alot. I remember many nights sitting on the edge of my bed or walking, walking, walking and crying. Sometimes if there hadn't been others in the house, I would have screamed my head off. :shock: What bothers me the most of all, having RLS, is that others don't get it. They have no idea what I (we) are dealing with. :x I try to discuss it with family and friends but I don't think it gets through. If it weren't for all you here at RLS.org, I would feel even more alone. In fact, it was one night at the computer, crying, :cry: standing up, typing, that I found this site. And here you were, people who understood. Really, my only outlet for my misery.
BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Serendipity you found us, Betty. I imagine several of us found this place in a similar way.

I think the crying sort of makes sense...our brain chemistry is not working right, we're tired (which always makes me more likely to cry anyway), the RLS makes us more anxious....but it all together and it's not a good thing! I'm lucky I'm at all rational when the RLS is bad.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

water

Post by doety »

I laughed at Ann's hot-cold water story and yes I do that all the time. But really -- the quality sleep you get when you're in hot water is the best! Unfortunately, sometimes I think I'll read a while before it takes effect, and I wake up with the New Yorker in my hand -- at the bottom of the tub. My husband just hates that! Our condo has a hot tub which is broken right now, but at my worst last year when I wasn't sleeping at all, I would get in the hot tub. I was so tired, I would end up bending toward the water and then wake up when the little bubbles tickled my face. Something inside me wasn't about to let me drown. This is the only sure-fire method I know about.
Back to another new doc tomorrow. BTW: I wish that anyone on here who has been to the revered Dr. B would pass on any wisdom to the rest of it...or is it only applicable to that person? I was hoping we'd hear from Gymper who wrote last March that he/she was seeing dr. b. the next day,but as far as I can tell, we never heard back again.