Three days

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
qwerty2007

Three days

Post by qwerty2007 »

My legs have not stopped moving once during the last three days. Aside from sleep (and I don't even know about that, I do tend to toss and turn a lot), I've been moving constantly. Sleep and rest is getting shorter and shorter, averaging around four hours per night (if I'm lucky).

My legs feel so exhausted. I tried going for a walk last night; just around campus (not a very big school)... and it was torture. My legs were sore, hips were in pain. When I got back and got in bed to rest, the RLS seemed even worse than usual. My legs seriously feel like jello. I walked to the cafeteria about an hour and almost feel two or three times because my leg would just give out.

I don't know what to do. As soon as I go home in March for a break, I'm seeing a doctor about getting some kind of medical help for this. But until then, what can I do? I don't have a doctor here and would rather not get one right now. If push comes to shove, I'm going to have to make an appointment somewhere. But until then, are there any non-medical/OTC solutions I can try. I already do the hot/cold therapy (hot water/cold water), some light massages, and basic exercise. I stay away from soda, sleeping pills (usually), medicine in general... I only drink water, I don't eat very greasy foods, I have good, balanced diet... Any suggestions at all?

Thanks.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Sorry to hear that you're suffering so much with this. Some things you might want to try before you can get to the doctor are:
- support stockings (some people get relief from them)
- take a good multivitamin with minerals in case you have some nutritional deficiences
- I suppose if you're on a college campus you could get some pot and try that. Lot's of people find that helpful.

Also, check out Jill Gunzel's RLS Rebel website (just Google it) for lists of ideas that she has found helpful.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Is there a campus doctor or nurse? At the least, maybe they can test you for ferritin. In addition to the good multivitamin, if your ferritin is low, you can add iron to it. Just don't try the iron without the test as research shows many of us do not have low ferritin and taking it if it's not low can be harmful.

Susan's list is a great one. Only thing I can think of to add is to see if you can change your sleeping time for now. You probably can't change your classes, but if you could sleep in the afternoon, say, or morning, you might find it easier until your clock adjusts.

Oh, one other thing...you mentioned going for a walk and how it hurt. If you aren't, try regular walking during the earlier part of the day. Nothing strenuous or long. Research has shown that most people have less RLS if they are getting regular moderate exercise.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.