Simple solution that works for me; hope it helps others

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Gilead

Simple solution that works for me; hope it helps others

Post by Gilead »

I have had rls for many years. While it has not kept me up all night, it has made me lose many hours of sleep. Sometimes, it has been so bad that it causes the sides of my body to jerk from my foot all the way to my hip.
A few months ago, when I was having a bad bout of it, my boyfriend suggested that, as I was lying down trying to sleep, I put one foot on top of the other and push my feet against each other, alternating which foot was on top. I was doubtful that this would work, but willing to try. Much to my surprise, after a few minutes this simple action calmed my twitching nerves down almost completely and I was able to sleep. I could feel the twitching nerves in my feet and lower legs, where the RLS is most active, calming down, relaxing, and going back to normal. Then I could sleep. I was thrilled!
I decided I would try this for a month before I decided if it really worked. It's been well over a month and it's worked every single time! I know how bad rls can be and wanted to share this simple solution with others, in hopes it will work for them!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to the site. Its great that you have found something non pharm that works so well for you.

I haven't heard of this before.... but guess who's going to try pressing her feet together. :D
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Gilead

Post by Gilead »

I also posted this under another topic (general discussion) and someone responded that they didn't understand the exact position. So here's what I posted for them explaining it more clearly. Hope it works for you. It is such a relief!
When I am lying down, I put one foot on top of the other, and press up with the bottom foot and down with the top foot, so that the two feet are putting equal pressure on each other and the leg muscles tense up, too. It doesn't matter so much what position your legs are in, straight or bent, as long as your feet are in the right position. You can do it sitting up as well.
Before I tried this, another thing that worked, but not as well, was leaning my back against the wall with my legs bent, in a chair position. I would do this before I went to bed, but sometimes I had to get out of bed several times and do it repeatedly before it finally worked. This new position is much easier and I don't have to get out of bed.
Let me know if it works!