TENS unit

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
edd666666

TENS unit

Post by edd666666 »

Hi, has anyone used a TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) to help with RLS? Thanks, Ed.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think I can recall this being mentioned some time ago but I can't remember much about it. Perhaps a search of the site may turn up some information.

Last year a physiotherapist used a Tens on my shoulder several times and I felt that my rls symptoms in my arm were improved for some weeks afterwards. Coincidence or not I don't know. However arm rls symtoms are back and as is my shoulder discomfort.

I would reckon that if a Tens would have a general positive affect then the use of it for rls would be more widespread.

But anything that works for anyone.... good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I bought a TNES for RLS but could not find any information on how to place the electrodes. One person somewhere (rlshelp.org? I forget) said s/he put the electrodes on the lower back. I tried a number of lower back placements and nothing had any impact at all on the RLS, except one day I tried it as I was sitting at my desk and it seemed to keep my mind off the RLS ... it was only once, tho, out of maybe ten times I tried it, and it never helped at night.

It's great for my sciatica, though. Also the Vitafon (a Russian-made vibroacoustic device) is I think even better for sciatica than the TENS.