A heating pad works for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also carry the medical alert card.

http://www.rlshelp.org/
This link should take you to the Southern California site and the Medical Alert Card.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jittery girl

Re: A heating pad works for me

Post by jittery girl »

Heating pads have worked for me when I first get that tingle, I know you all know what I mean.
Also, I have a treadmill and I swear by it for RLS when only legs are involved. When I have restless "Limb" syndrome nothing works. I can't grip anything to exercise my arms so I am walking endlessly shaking my arms and stomping my feet. If I mess up and don't take my meds correctly I am doomed to hours of agony.
"Life is a process. Your participation is required."

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

jittery girl wrote: If I mess up and don't take my meds correctly I am doomed to hours of agony.

I absolutely, utterly and without qualification, totally agree with this.

The answer is to stay ahead of the symptoms. If I don't medicate on time (even tho I may at that particular time be symptom free) I will definitely pay for it later. The gremlins will appear and get such a hold that the meds at times seem to be fighting a losing battle even when they do kick in.

Medicate on time.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

jittery girl.: Maybe that is my problem, not taking my meds on time. Thanks for the advice. I know if you mess up and let the WED get started, even if you take your meds. the WED doesn't want to stop.

Thanks again.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
jittery girl wrote: If I mess up and don't take my meds correctly I am doomed to hours of agony.

I absolutely, utterly and without qualification, totally agree with this.

The answer is to stay ahead of the symptoms. If I don't medicate on time (even tho I may at that particular time be symptom free) I will definitely pay for it later. The gremlins will appear and get such a hold that the meds at times seem to be fighting a losing battle even when they do kick in.

Medicate on time.

Ditto!!!!!

I few weeks ago, I put the pills out on my desk at the right time and noted I didn't have any water in my glass. I went to get the water, talked to hubby, came back, and forgot to take them.

The symptoms hit instantly and voraciously about 45 minutes later. I was confused at first, thinking, hey, didn't I take my meds? I looked down, they there were! I think I finally slept at 6 AM for 2 hours.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ouch !! This shows just how we will pay for a delay in medicating.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

One of the first things to find out when you get a new med is how long does it take to kick in?
-- a lot of the WED meds take 2 hrs to kick in
-- You let the disease get rolling, it will have a 2-3hr head-start, so it's strong and harder to kill, plus you will have to wait two hours from whenever you realized you forgot your pills.

Another thing to ask is the half-life - how long it takes for your bod to break half of it down. The way this works is exponential not linear, so don't go thinking this means it's all gone in the twice the half-life. No, say the half-life is 5 hrs. After 5 hrs. it's half gone, after 10 hrs a half of the remaining is gone - there's a 1/4 left in your body, after 15 hrs, there's 1/8 left in your body.... If you take another dose every 12 hrs, note that does adds on to the stuff that's still in your body from the first dose.

Something to keep in mind for medications like clonazepam with a 40hr half life... that stuff constantly builds up in your body.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jittery girl

Re:

Post by jittery girl »

badnights wrote:Anyone else use an old-school rubber hot-water bottle? I like it better than a heating pad because there's no wire so I can shove it around with my legs; and the heat feels deeper. It still has a bit of warmth in the morning.

This worked for me when the WED was bad. Also - I used those stick on tape like things people put on their backs for back pain. I put them on my calves and the side of my thighs. They are expensive, but they did help a little. My WED is so bad now only drugs help. It has been a huge help for people to tell about not using over the counter sleep and allergy meds. I used to try them to knock my self out when it was bad!

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I'm glad a hot water bottle helps you. Nothing works for me except the hard stuff. I take Mirapex. But I still don't sleep good. I'm doing a little better since I've been on a CPAP. And then I'm sleepy in the day time. This crazy disease is so dibilitating. And people think RLS/WEB is just a trivial thing. HAH It controls my life to a large degree. And has for decades.

Wish you all restful sleep.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

rthom

Post by rthom »

Betty
Sorry your experience is like that. I'm with you though. Those things seem to aggravate more than help me, and peoples point of view is annoying at best. But your last line brought me to a thought, I was wondering even with those that have meds working well, do yo get a restful night sleep or just a long night sleep. I even when medicated, am more like passed out than restfully sleeping. Anyone else?

jittery girl

Post by jittery girl »

rthom-
I am passed out like a drunk.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

rthom: I have been on Mirapex (pramipexole) for a while, maybe 2 years. The RLS/WED is gone, sometimes it sneaks back. But it is better than before. I read the information sheet that came with the meds. Guess what? One of the side effects is "INSOMNIA". So when I sleep I don't think I'm resting and I am awake every 2 hours. I can't win for losing. My life has been stolen from me by this monster. On top of everything else, I have high blood pressure, high cholestrol, fibromyalgia, GERD, arthritis and I wouldn't doubt that some of this or all is related to the RLS/WED.

BETTY/WV

jittery girl

Post by jittery girl »

Betty/WV wrote:jittery girl.: Maybe that is my problem, not taking my meds on time. Thanks for the advice. I know if you mess up and let the WED get started, even if you take your meds. the WED doesn't want to stop.

Thanks again.

BETTY/WV

If I helped you one tiny bit I am thrilled!

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Polar Bear wrote:
jittery girl wrote:... The gremlins will appear ...

I like that word "gremlins" to describe it. I'm going to start using it for the rare time I have to describe it to someone other than a doctor. Hope you don't mind.

CarolWR

Post by CarolWR »

I like the term "gremlins" too...as I can imagine them sneaking in when the rls begins at night. I'm the one who mentioned that a heating pad was so helpful to me. I have just ordered one that does not have an automatic shut-off to see if that helps me sleep more than in two hour stretches (the shut-off time for the pads found in local stores). I know manufacturers warn against sleeping with a heating pad, but I place it on top of my thighs and don't overdo the temp...and even checked with my doctor. This and the drug Horizant makes it so I can sleep fairly well, but I know I'm missing the benefits of the deep sleep. I take the Horizant because I can't tolerate drugs like Mirapex and the agonists.