Sleep position

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
badnights

Re: Sleep position - sitting up

Post by badnights »

Something crazy has been happening to me. I wake up sitting up in bed. I can tell I've been sitting up for a while, asleep. This started about a year ago. At first it was disconcerting, but now it's my secret weapon.

I have realized that the WED is less bothersome in that position. If I feel any WED when I go to bed, I prop my numerous pillows so that I can sit up, do some calming breathing, and as I fall asleep - usually almost instantly - I let myself topple onto the pillows which keep me semi-upright. Or I just lean against the pillows and fall asleep there. It is only hours later that I slide down to sleep flat.

I should mention that I haven't woken up to find myself in a sitting position for the last 4-5 months. My WED overall is getting better (new diet, discussed under Wahls diet in General), or maybe it's because I arrange for my body to be semi-upright to begin with.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Re: Sleep position

Post by ViewsAskew »

Interesting. I used to have a couch where I could put my leg up on the back of it, much as if I was in a sitting position turned on my back. I always found that to reduce symptoms. I can't do it on my current couch...so I have no idea if it helps at all.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Since my hip surgeries, I can now lie on either side, on one of the new hips and it stops my WED/PLM. When my hip starts to ache then back to my back and WED/PLMs have stopped.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Interesting.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have found that I can get a little temporary relief by lying on my stomach, knees bent and feet in the air.
On a couch it helps if I shuffle my way down the couch until my knees are pushed into the angle of the seat and the arm of the couch.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation