3D Glasses and RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jbuck

3D Glasses and RLS

Post by jbuck »

Ok, who would of thought that 3D and RLS would end up in a subject line on this discussion board, but this is rather interesting and I thought I'd share my experience with you.

After DirecTV rolled out 3D to their subscribers, I decided to get the glasses (active shutter) along with the other tech to check it out.

To view 3D on your 3D enabled TV you need to use what they call Active Shutter Glasses. What these do is basically cover your left eye, then cover your right eye really fast (thus shutter) that tricks your brain into seeing the 3D image.

So imagine my surprise when I started watching 3D content that I first noticed that they seemed to make me sleepy. I first shrugged this off as just being tired or that they were straining my eyes and making me tired.

However, I kept noticing it AND I started to notice that when I would watch 3D, my RLS would subside or go away completely. Again, I thought this was totally nuts and had to be my imagination. However, when showing off the 3D to my friends, some of them said 'gee, this is great, but it kinda makes me sleepy'...so then I thought maybe there is more to this than I first thought. So then I tried just wearing the glasses to see if it made any difference with my RLS and I still think that it does.

the only explanation that I can come up with is that the shutter glasses might also be triggering some type of rapid eye movement tricking the brain...and so it somehow has an effect on the RLS.

I'm just curious, if anyone else has a 3D setup and experiencing the same thing. I could be totally off my rocker, but then with RLS, I've learned to be alot more open minded than I used to be!

I don't think I will run around wearing 3D shutter glasses (these don't have the red/blue lenses, they look just like sunglasses) to prevent my RLS just yet, but it is rather intriguing! :)

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Where can I get a pair of those 3D glasses. It does sound weird, but isn't RLS weird anyway?

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

jbuck

Post by jbuck »

lol, you can go to best buy and they have a 3D setup where you can test it out. However, I've noticed that it typically takes about 10-20 minutes before I notice the sleepiness and RLS relief. So I'm not sure if you would be able to test it there or not due to noise, people shuffling about, salesmen trying to sell you stuff, etc etc..

Best Buy does carry the glasses, but they are about $120-150 a pair!

Just this pass weekend I had another friend over and started to watch a 3D show...he was asleep in about 10 minutes. Then made me start the show over and then fell asleep again! Then made a remark that the glasses were making him sleepy...so after about 5 friends saying the same thing, that's when I started to put 2 & 2 together and couldn't wait to post about this cause I find it so interesting!

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

It is very interesting, you hear all kinds of things on here. But that is a really new one. And the fact that it affected several of your friends is proof that it isn't just you.

Keep us up to date on this strange event.

And I'm not going to run out and buy the glasses for $200.00

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

badnights

Post by badnights »

I can still afford a $200 experiment, though I'm running out of sick leave and who knows what will happen then. So do I look for Active Shutter Glasses that rapidly alternate which eye is blocked by a shutter? Anything else I need to know? I think my local electronics store was demo'ing something like that.

jbuck

Post by jbuck »

I don't think I would advise anyone to go purchase these glasses just yet as it is all anecdotal at this point. Plus, it's always been when watching 3D content, not just wearing them.

My post was initially to see if anyone else who had a 3D setup with DirecTV and had these types of glasses experienced the same thing. They are straining on the eye and they advised to take breaks from them every hour...so even if they do provide some relief, I can't say that sitting in front of a tv all day would be great for you.

badnights

Post by badnights »

too bad.
So then I tried just wearing the glasses to see if it made any difference with my RLS and I still think that it does.
I thought that meant you had tried them without the TV. :(

jbuck

Post by jbuck »

Yes, you are correct. I should have clarified that there is another piece of technology called an emitter that activates the glasses by syncing them to the TV picture and this piece plugs into the TV.

So if you try to use them without the emitter (or without the TV on), they auto turn off since they run on batteries. The emitter also sends a signal to the glasses that keeps them turned on.

So when I said I tried them without the TV by just using the glasses, I actually had the TV on but set to another input to get a black screen as well as tuned to the Directv 3D channel to keep the emitter sending the signal.

I know, very confusing....sorry about that.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It still sounds very fascinating.

How long is the RLS quiet after you take the glasses off?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Not confusing, good explanation. I looked up a bit about it myself too.

The response you're getting is indeed fascinating. It really ought to be checked out by more RLSers. Too bad the equipment is so expensive.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

bethf wrote:Too bad the equipment is so expensive.

And too bad 3D makes me nauseous! My BIL makes 3D movies; I can't watch them. I have no idea if my RLS is worse or better because I'm busy trying not to vomit, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jbuck

Post by jbuck »

ViewsAskew wrote:How long is the RLS quiet after you take the glasses off?

it's hard to say as I really didn't time it. I'm going to try to do some more experimenting with this over the weekend and see if I can come up with some more answers.

My RLS woke me up at 3am last night so I went to the basement to watch some 3D programs and test this again....and sure enough, I woke up later around 7am with the glasses on my head and TV still on as I had fallen asleep watching some show....it really is bizarre.