Hot Yoga

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jfp

Hot Yoga

Post by jfp »

I have had RLS all my life and it has worsened with age, contributing to insomnia, PLMS, and (potentially) sleep apnea. After trying 8 rx strength medications and several otc's, and out of sheer desperation, I tried hot yoga. I have done 10 classes and have had no RLS symptoms on the nights I do it as long as I take 1 Mirapex, too. This is unheard of for me. I get symptoms, bad ones, EVERY night, no matter what medication I take. The classes are intense and tough (and I'm in very good shape). But, to get away from the symptoms for a few nights a week, it's totally worth it.

lexique

Post by lexique »

I miss living close enough to the city to be able to take advantage of classes like that. :( I love yoga, of any sort (do sessions at home everyday), but hot yoga provides a special challenge. I can't say I ever drew a correlation between that and a reduction in the RLS but am glad to hear that someone else has found something that works for them. Praying that your relief continues.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

What is hot yoga?????

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

lexique

Post by lexique »

Betty, very simply hot yoga is regular yoga in a hot environment.

The temperature, and usually the humidity in the room are increased so that it is like you are doing yoga in a moist air sauna. As if a good yoga class wasn't challenging enough...

For an hour and a half all I am thinking about is my breathing and the poses I am being asked to perform. I find that it is a wonderful workout and a wonderful release from everything else going on in my life at that time.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds great.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've been trying Wii Fit yoga on and off, maybe I should shut off the AC and open some windows. :lol:

ritomko

Re: Hot Yoga

Post by ritomko »

jfp wrote:I have had RLS all my life and it has worsened with age, contributing to insomnia, PLMS, and (potentially) sleep apnea. After trying 8 rx strength medications and several otc's, and out of sheer desperation, I tried hot yoga. I have done 10 classes and have had no RLS symptoms on the nights I do it as long as I take 1 Mirapex, too. This is unheard of for me. I get symptoms, bad ones, EVERY night, no matter what medication I take. The classes are intense and tough (and I'm in very good shape). But, to get away from the symptoms for a few nights a week, it's totally worth it.

do you have to do the class before bedtime or does it help if you do it any time of the day?