MORE iron and magnesium???

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
LB

MORE iron and magnesium???

Post by LB »

I came on line a year or so ago and found the sugestions to take a magnesium and iron tablet before bedtime. It helped tremendously! I stopped having both the leg cramps and the RLS I was having almost every night. (I refuse to go the prescription med route!) Anyhow, now the RLS has started coming back again. (I do not use any caffeine at all.) I guess I really need to talk to my doctor about this .... but I was wondering if it would hurt to INCREASE the amount of iron and magnesium. Does anyone know when it becomes "lethal"???? I am 5'6" and weigh about 170 lbs and am in excellent health and eat and exercise moderately. (How average can you be???)

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You might want to do some general searches on it on the Web; I don't know much about magnesium but seem to recall that you shouldn't take too much, but can't remeber why. Becat and Sara might know.

Per the iron, from what I've read, you should not take it without having your blood tested regularly. Too much iron can lead to a condition called hematochrosis (sp?). I take iron, but my doctor checks my ferritin levels every two to three months. Your ferritin should not get over 225 or so. Another woman on another board took iron for over a year without getting it checked; when she did have it checked, her ferritin was very high, almost to the danger zone. Her doctor had her stop immediately.

Ann

PeteB

Magneisum

Post by PeteB »

Aha, this is interesting. It ties in with my Marmite and bananas theory. An average banana has 44.1mg magnesium in it, and the Marmite is just loaded with vitamin B.

However, having a banana and marmite on toast didn't work for too long with me - and sometimes I think it made it worse.

I've heard that a lack of magnesium causes cramps in the legs. Whether this is relevant or not I don't know, but I think there's something in it.

Pete

IanFraughton

Ferritin levels

Post by IanFraughton »

I ask my Doc to check my ferritin levels but told him I take a iron pill every other day or so and he told me that since I was taking iron pills I shouldn't have a problem and that ferritin levels has nothing to do with it! Also when I told him I had to quit drinking coffee he asked me why. If he has treated so many patients with RLS I shouldn't have had to tell him why I can't have caffeine. As a matter of fact that was something he should of told me. Why I stick with him is the fact that no other Doc is taking patients so I may have to get my RLS support group leader to find me a new one. I wont' fire my other Doc until I'm in my first appointment with my new, then I'm going to give him a piece of mind.
I call my pacing the "Waltz of the Damned". Anyone care to dance...?

becat

Arrrrggggggghhhhhhh

Post by becat »

Can you believe it? ANother doc not knowing the basics about RLS.
Ian, your doctor is lucky to have you and doesn't realize it. He could up his practice just by listening. Forget that he could actually learn something about this condition. Take him a copy of the RLS Algorithm. You can find it on the Mayo Clinic site, type that title into the search box. He needs the information.
I'm sorry your having to go through this.
I don't want you to think that your the only one. There are so many of us that get that :shock: look from doctors. Misimformation or no information at all, it's all bad when your in the fight for a quality of life.
It's one of things that has to change. DOCTORS need to see this the way we do. There is no cookie cutter symptoms for all of us, nor a good treatment.
However, there are the basic facts which many in the medical community ignore or don't care to know.
I don't blame you for not getting rid of him until you have a new doc.. To scary to think of, no help at all. But I will tell you that any doc you see, it takes time and work to build that relationship that we require.
I send you hope and crossed fingers that a new doc has an opening soon.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I still am amazed when I hear these stories. Ian, good luck - I know what it's like with a doctor that won't listen and isn't up to date but thinks he/she is. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

Per the magnesium thing, yes, it is supposed to help leg cramps. So is quinine. I read somewhere that is quinine works for you, you don't really have RLS, you have cramps. Wonder if the same is true for magnesium? Of course, I only my own experience to go on and neither help me - but I have heard some people say taking magnesium is the only thing they need to do.

Ann