stockings

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
bekull

Post by bekull »

Thanks Brenda, I'm going to look on ebay right now.

bekull

Post by bekull »

I got my stockings 20-30 compression. I love them! They really reduce the pain I always feel in my legs. Today is Tuesday my second day at work wearing the stockings. I have not had RLS in my legs either day and I sit at a desk. Usually by 10:30am I am squirming. I also sleep better at night. I don't wake up with the need to stretch my legs every hour. I'm sleeping 2-3 hours in a row! I hope it continues.

Brenda, thanks for sharing this.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am assuming these stockings are knee length like flight socks.

I'm wondering would there be any merit in these stockings for the likes of me who has symptoms from feet to groin. (and arms).
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

papillion526

Post by papillion526 »

I have a question would the compression stockings be the same as wwrapping an ace bandage around your legs? i tried that ne night and it made my legs worse...

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, some of us just do NOT like that tight feeling. It is similar to an Ace bandage.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

I am so glad it helped you!!

I am still reaping the benefits of my stockings-priceless!

In my opinion, ace bandages may not stay in place and if the compression is too much (like me) I found my legs were so much worse. Theres too many variables as you wrap on up the leg and they can shift.

In the beginning I tried my husbands "firm" compression and I felt like there was a war going on in my legs. Literally.

Thats when I decided to try the light compression. What a difference.
And I also have movement up to my groin,arms etc. Somehow with the calming of the lower legs it really does help me.

I do have my nights still when I have trouble sleeping, but they aren't as often. I now get about 6 hours 4-5 nights a week.

Brenda
Finally able to sleep on average 9 hours a night!
Brenda

bekull

Post by bekull »

I have the knee high stockings. They took some getting used to as I too don't like pressure on my legs. I can't even stand a sheet at night. I tried wrapping my legs in ace bandages too, that lasted about two minutes. I couldn't get them off fast enough. My RLS affects my legs, torso, arms and especially my shoulders. While the stockings do not relieve symptoms in other areas, I have noticed a delay in the onset of symptoms in other areas, meaning instead of 10:30 I can last till 3:30 or even 4:00 before I have to take something (percoset). I also don't get as "intense" RLS in other areas. The biggest help for me though, has been that the constant pain in my legs is GONE. I don't know how long this might last, but I'm grateful for a more comfortable day and much better sleep.

As a side note they keep the swelling down in feet and ankles too. That makes wearing shoes (which I hate) more tolerable.

Hope this helps someone.

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Yeah Bekull, it does seem to delay or stop movement just because you've done something for the legs.

I never take mine off anymore. I've had more sleep since I got these stockings than in 2 1/2 years. I also was experiencing severe leg pain and thats stopped.

Like you I hate shoes and I also hate pants. I'll wear pants if I need to go out,like in the winter but as soon as I get home off they come and then I wear shorts.

thank you for posting! I can't get to my fav's,have been posting on another acct and couldn't find you guys.
Then I got a e-mail with a link from your post!

Brenda
Brenda

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Bekull and Sugbrendas, your comments about the knee high stockings helped answer my thoughts on those of us who also have symptoms in thighs, arms etc.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I have the compression stockings, knee high. After my knee replacement I started wearing them. And my legs and feet swell so I should wear them for that also. But----my chubby swelled legs, right below the knee, the stockings gets tight and I don't think that is good. It may be shutting off the blood. They really don't do anything for my RLS, but they do feel good on my legs until they start getting tight at my knees.

Any suggestions.?

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

sugbrendas

Post by sugbrendas »

Betty, did you try slouching the stockings some. I don't pull mine on tight.
I let them slouch and in the end my heel is under my arch instead of at my heal. I was also having the same problem and with letting the stockings slouch the band stays wide and doesn't bother me anymore.

Another option is thigh high. Measuring at the fullest part is real important though for a right fit.

My advice is to stay with mild compression.

Brenda
Brenda

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thanks Brenda: I'll give that a tr y. And my stocking are just a mild compression. But thats tight enough for me.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

bekull

Post by bekull »

Hi Betty,

I know what you mean about the knees and pain from anything tight around them. I searched for stockings that had a very loose band around the top and if I push them down a bit below my knees, they don't bother me at all! And they don't fall down. There are so many types of compression stockings out there. Mine are Coolmax. They are very soft and cushy.

Last week I was able to wear my ankle boots without discomfort. Usually any shoe that comes near my ankle causes me to twist my ankles (I don't know why I do that).

Brenda, I wear mine all the time too. Even to bed which I can't believe I'm doing. It is such a relief not to have leg pain all the time and such a simple remedy.

Hope these stockings will help some of you. Even a little relief is huge for RLS sufferers.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

After I had my whole knee replacement, I wore mine all the time. And loved the way they feel. But lately they are to tight but I think that is because my legs and knees are swelled. :shock: Why I don't know. I will see the doctor soon and let him check them out. They are good for your legs, I have varicose veins (spider) and the stockings are good for that too. But I don't know how good they are if they are to tight.

Glad they help you all with your leg pain. :D

BETTY/WV

fraujoolie

Post by fraujoolie »

I recently got a pair of light compression stockings, and have given them a try for a few nights. It seems to help my symptoms when I'm still awake, but has done nothing to improve my legs when asleep. Doggonit, I was hoping for better results...

I have really wide ACE wraps (6"), and they don't slide around. They wake me up, though, when my legs fall asleep. So I don't know what's worse, being woken up with RLS, or woken up with legs that are asleep. Either way, I'm waking up.

*sigh*

One of these days I'll post pics and some directions for my rice socks, if anyone is interested. You might like these, if you like weight and heat on your legs.
Julie