Temporal Magnetic Stimulation, anyone?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Oozz

Re: Temporal Magnetic Stimulation, anyone?

Post by Oozz »

Rustsmith wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:53 am
Another issue to contend with is that the portion of the brain where RLS originates is deep. So any external treatment has to either go through other areas with the potential side effects they might cause or else you will need to use many electrodes that focus on the right area and electrode placement without guidance from some other means could end up hitting the wrong spot. When DBS has been tried for RLS (as opposed to Parkinsons), there is still debate about where to place the electrode and DBS surgery is done with continual radiography to guide the neurosurgeon PLUS the patient is partially awake to help respond whether there is any improvement as the electrodes are put into place.
Yes, I’ve seen the surgery. It was pretty crazy. There will definitely be a learning curve in finding the right spot(a), but, once identified, it would be pretty standard, right? Theoretically, you could just counter or shut off the signal being sent out.

I have no understanding of this, so I’m a bit talking out of my behind

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

XenMan wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:10 am
Oozz wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:31 pm
This was actually the paper I was referring to, I must have misinterpreted where they put the electrodes.
There are a few things I don't like about using magnetic or current stimulation for RLS. The first is that you don't get anything for nothing and if you change one part of the brain, another part is impacted as well, often to the detriment. For other uses of stimulation it isn't an issue as you work the area and get neuron growth or strengthening that carries over when treatment stops.

Also, the areas targeted for RLS are going to be rather important for other tasks as well which may be reduced as you are seeking reduced brain activity.

However, it is an easy choice to give up other abilities when you are so greatly impacted by RLS symptoms.

It will also depend on whether, or how strong the physical element is, to how to benefit from stimulation. Also, if increased activity in the brain is causing the RLS symptoms or is a result of a reaction to create the symptoms.

It is complex, and has been seen with much of the RLS science, it will be badly done and come to the wrong conclusions.

My experimentation continues...
You bring up many good points. My responses:

1) Medications have trade offs too. It’s not like chronic opioids don’t have huge impacts, even at small doses.
2) My RLS is only at night, but, you are right, people with 24/7 RLS would have more much limited therapeutic applications.
3) yes, much science to be uncovered. And it seems to be going so slow.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

There will definitely be a learning curve in finding the right spot(a), but, once identified, it would be pretty standard, right?
Because RLS occurs in the same region of the brain where Parkinsons occurs, they have a good idea of where the electrodes need to be placed. But, I don't think that we will ever see this being done except in the most extreme cases. DBS is relatively common now for late stage Parkinsons, but they wait until the late stage due to the risks involved with any neurosurgery of that type. Since RLS isn't life-threatening or as debilitating as Parkinsons, I am sure that it will be many, many years (a lifetime?) before it might be considered for all but the most extreme cases of RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.