Foot Massager

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
fraujoolie

Foot Massager

Post by fraujoolie »

I thought I'd mention something that is helping me right now. I'm pregnant, so taking much less medication to control my RLS. I still take a low-dose of Methadone, but it's not enough to really address the symptoms. I get about 40% relief, I'd say.
So I'm also using a foot massager before I go to bed. For about 20 minutes, I have this thing jiggle my feet under the covers:
http://www.amazon.com/Medi-Rub-2000-Plu ... 069&sr=8-1

It makes my feet all tingly, and it masks the urges to move. If I'm lucky, I fall asleep before the positive effects wear off. If not, I do it again...

Anyways, I thought I'd put out that non-pharm option to you all, in case it might be of help...
Julie

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Great that it helps you, Julie! It's a bit pricey for our budget right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Sorry this post is so late. I've been AWOL.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Haven't seen this machine before, looks good, but I'd like to be sure it would help my symptoms (we are all different) before laying out that sort of cash.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

fraujoolie

Post by fraujoolie »

Oh no, I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy one of these. Just another tool in the arsenal. Perhaps everyone should come over and give it a whirl. Next time you're in town! :D

I *can not* wait until I deliver this baby and can get some relief. I've had some false labor, but nothing is happening yet. OB will schedule the induction at my next visit, so I'm thinking first week of April, God willing. Dr. B says women usually feel better within "a few hours of delivering." Here's hoping, as I was awake until the birds started chirping, it's 11am now, and my legs are starting back up again. I'm "up" to 10 mg of Methadone (from 5mg 2nd tri), and it isn't doing a thing. The "Jiggle 3000" (as my husband has named it) is a good distraction when I'm at the end of my rope. I used it for about two hours (off and on) last night, flipped it on just as I was ready to scream (between my husband snoring peacefully, baby pressing on my bladder and 'fully engaged,' heartburn, aching hips and back, uncomfortable in any position, and...oh...my LEGS).

Anyways, please don't read into my message as some sort of "miracle cure." It's more of a "there is nothing else I can do" machine.
:roll:
Julie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

And to think we (women) deliberately get pregnant....we must be masochists!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.