PLMD - Recent Sleep Study Results

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
sleepdancer

PLMD - Recent Sleep Study Results

Post by sleepdancer »

Over the years I've had several sleep studies as my leg movements have tormented my nights. Had another one this week to assess the effectiveness of me going off the meds and using just a TENS Unit for treatment. I also use a CPAP for sleep apnea, and that portion of the test was routine as I've been using it for 5 years. My current treatment for my legs to help with my sleep has been going on since late last fall. As to be expected, sleeping in the lab was much worse than at home. The wires and tape on my legs were maddening. So I knew that whatever my results came back, my actual nights are better. My sleep doctor was very pleased with what she called significant improvement. In past studies at times I've had up to well over 300 limb movements. In this study I had 44. Not as good as I'd hoped, but still relatively very good. I do feel more comfortable now when I tell people that the TENS Unit has helped me, as I have now had that claim professionally evaluated. As far as the TENS electrode placement, the two electrodes from one wire are stacked on one side of the low lower back, the two from the other wire are stacked on the opposite side. I try to get them at least a couple inches outside the spine. Hope this info helps someone.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Do you use the Tens before symptoms start, or when they start. How long do you use it for, do you sleep with it. And when you put the machine on how long is it before you feel any benefit.

I also have to consider placemen tof the electrodes for symptoms in my arms.

I bought a machine but find that the wed symptoms are still constant behind the tingle of the tens machine.

Its so good that this is working for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sleepdancer

TENS Unit

Post by sleepdancer »

I use the TENS Unit for about 30-45 minutes before bedtime. I don't sleep with it. My knowledge of its operation is quite basic. It has icons for pre-sets, and I just select the one that shows the lower back. From what I've read, different currents are known to be best for different locations of use. It took a few weeks of consistent use before my improved sleep was pretty predictable. On rare nights I've gotten up mid-night and used it again and then slept well the rest of the night. Not sure what made those nights different. It may have just been I was getting the electrode placement figured out, but once I was weaned off the med that I was experiencing augmentation on, the TENS seemed more effective. In my non-medical personal opinion, I think the TENS has been more effective when fighting just the natural symptoms of my disorders and not the pharmaceutically induced symptoms. While the TENS is like a miracle to me, it cannot work miracles. Not everyone can, should, or is willing to go thru the misery of weaning off the meds to try this. A few hints that I've found helpful... 1) If the night starts badly, get up for a bit and start over, because it's easier to prevent symptoms than interrupt them. 2) The TENS batteries should not be almost drained. Seems then the sensations are just painful stinging of the skin. 3) Same with non-sticky used electrodes. When they don't stick as well, they are not as effective.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you.

When I tried to order replacement electrodes from the provider of the tens machine off Amazon they would not deliver them to N.Ireland. And yet they delivered the tens which included the electrodes. So I bought cheaper electrodes which were deliverable to N.I. They weren't as good, were never as sticky as the others, and right from the off they didn't want to catch properly around the edges.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation