A CURE AT LAST

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Dragan2001

A CURE AT LAST

Post by Dragan2001 »

I have suffered with RLS syndrome since I was a child. I am now 34. Everyone on my mother's side of the family has it. It was horrible when I was pregnant! I didn't even know that it was a diagnosed ailment until I started doing some research about "restless legs" last year.
Anyway, about a year ago I was listening to an infromercial about a Calcium Magnesium supplement that has Vitamen C added to it. Apparently, if you take Calcium and Magnesium, most of it is not absorbed unless you also drink/eat something acidic with it to aid in absorption. This product promised instant absorption and an immediate "relaxing" feeling in the muscles. I thought that it couldn't hurt and I needed a Calcium supplement anyway. When I have symptoms, I take this and within 10 minutes the RLS is completely gone. I have my whole family on it and they all think it is a miracle. I have even written to Dr.s who are doing research on RLS.
I have nothing to do with the people that make the product. It is simply Calcium and Magnesium in a powder form that contains citric acid and lemon juice powder. I know that there is a lot being said about iron and dopamine now associated with RLS but this stuff works. I don't know how. My husband, who is a physician, thinks that the Calcium and Magnesium must somehow effect the neuoreceptors or something. Anyway, the product is not cheap. If you can find a powdered Calcium and Magnesium supplement try taking it with orange juice or something acidic. This product has been a miracle for my family. Again, I have nothing to do with the makers of the product and I don't even know who they are. My mother, who suffers the worst, takes this stuff twice a day and never has symptoms anymore. Me and my brother and sisters take it only when needed. It only takes about 10 minutes to work. If you try it, please send me feedback! The website for the product is www.Calmax.tv. The product is Calmax. Again, you can probably find the generic equivelent in the health store. Please let me know if you try it!
Sincerely, Diane, NY

Di

Calcium/Magnesium

Post by Di »

I have suffered with RLS most of my life. I wonder if that is why I was always referred to as a wiggle worm in school. Now I am 56 years old and it had become so bad that I could not sit still in a movie. I had to be standing or wiggling my legs and ankles. It was like having thousands of ants crawling in my veins. I quit going to church because I felt like I was distracting to those who had to sit behind me. And I was so miserable sitting there, that I could not think about anything but my legs.

After reading some things about cal/mag on the internet, I remembered when my son was born 30 years ago. His legs twitched and moved constantly. He couldn't sleep. I consulted my Adele Davis book and she said it was a vitamin deficiency. She was a big nutritionist, vitamin advocate for that day. She said to give him Calcium and magnesium in his milk. The Dr.'s said his nerves were probably under-developed and he would grow out of it. I had my pharmacist mix a formula for me and put it in his milk. He never had this problem again. I only gave it to him for about 6 months.
I decided to try it for myself. So about 2 weeks ago, I bought a bottle of Citracal Plus with Magnesium. I can't believe it! Within 24 hours I could feel a difference. I can sit and watch tv now. I sleep all night. My husband says he can tell I am finally resting. It is absolutely amazing!
Please try it. I hope it works for you. Oh, yeah. and now I can enjoy sitting at the computer for hours.

utahlovesmartina

Calcium/Magnesium

Post by utahlovesmartina »

I take a Calcium / Magnesium drink before bed and it works great. We get our's from mail order. It's called Calabsorb from Great American Products. There are a few different flavors and you just mix it into juice or water. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to work but I have noticed if I don't go straight to bed afterward I will miss my "window of opportunity" to fall asleep. It has been a life saver for me. Also I noticed when I stopped drinking diet pepsi for a month my symptoms improved greatly. I am trying to quit again. Hope this helps....Good Luck! :D

irandom

CalMag?

Post by irandom »

One time I took calmag pills before bed and felt a tremendous relaxing sensation, but only that once. I then tried dissolving generic calcium-magnesium pills into vinegar, but that did nothing. Also tried it dissolving calmag with lemon juice with no luck either. But I did find mixing hand lotion and magnesium citrate from a liquid laxative, then applying it to my legs allowed me to sleep thru the nite. I don't recommend mixing hand lotion and epson salt(magnesium sulfate), the sulfate will give you a headache.

becat

Hi and welcome

Post by becat »

Hi Irandom,
I've been using a product with the same thought behind it. Cal/Mag in gel form. I also take it in a liquid form, that is offered. Found that my stomach found it's own healing in the liquid. Much easier for me to take than the pill form.
The product is called Miracle II. I don't sell it just just it constantly.
It doesn't work for everyone, but like you, have found that it can take the throb out of hurting areas.....(my shoulders, feet, and legs) if I use it topically.
I do also have to take meds., but even meds don't cover everything for me all the time.
Thought I'd tell ya about it.

Shysilence

A cure?

Post by Shysilence »

I'll settle for even a momentary relief of symptems. Dear God..a full night of sleep? Beyond imagining. Anyone know of a cheap way to try this? Old..well, 62..and limited income since I educated myself out of the teaching profession.

Paula

Post by Paula »

I am new to this discussion board and I finally realize that I'm not alone with my suffering with RLS. My doctor prescribed Quinine and I thought I was going to die before the side effects wore off.
I am going to the drug store and buy some Citracal Plus with magnesium.
Sounds like a good place to start naturally.

Paula

Post by Guest »

real food cheaper and works better.

alisha0103

Post by alisha0103 »

I think I will go for it and buy this Cal/Mag supplement. I have been trying various different anti-deppressants and muscle relaxers with no good results. I don't eat dairy products or most foods that have a significant amount of Calcium and have been looking for something to take. Thanks for the suggestion, guys!
If you don't believe you can find a way out, you become the problem. If you believe you can find a way out, you've solved the problem.

Post by Guest »

Anti-depressants are supposed to make RLS worse, according to all the research I have seen

alisha0103

Post by alisha0103 »

True, I have noticed that more often than not, anti-depressants are working against me. However, I suffer from depression, I believe, as a result of RLS as well as two other diseases of my skin. Both skin problems are for the most part unnoticeable (sp) but it takes a lot of time taking care of it and outrageous uninsured medication costs. What's a person to do??
If you don't believe you can find a way out, you become the problem. If you believe you can find a way out, you've solved the problem.