Remedies and medications everyone else is trying for RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Lovechild3113

Remedies and medications everyone else is trying for RLS?

Post by Lovechild3113 »

I was wanting to know what remedies and medications everyone else is trying for RLS. I am on ultram and neurontin. Please respond.

Jamie
Lovechild3113@aol.com
Jamie Wilderman

Post by Guest »

i cut my arms and legs with razor blades ... and this seems to help me. I really gets rid of that urge to move. also try binding your legs with barb wire or placing it at the foot of your bed. Hope this helps.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Well Guest
If you find this site so hilarious, I feel very sorry for you. Your comments are rude and not appreciated
Beware the Penguin

Lovechild3113

Post by Lovechild3113 »

Penguinrocks wrote:Well Guest
If you find this site so hilarious, I feel very sorry for you. Your comments are rude and not appreciated

Guest, you have no idea how we all suffer from this disease. It will all come back to you, and please do not respond to any of my messages. The last thing that we all need is someone like you on this site.

Jamie
Jamie Wilderman

SUGAR

guest get outta here

Post by SUGAR »

I was not happy at all about that. Believe me we would if that would help at all. Lovechild, I will give you a sample of my list, I am on prescribed Mirapex, Amytriptaline, naproxen, taking over the counter tylenol, magnesium-oxide, vitamin e, vitamin c, ferritous sulfate, calcuim-magnesium and daily multivitamins. It is not fun knowing that all my morning pills don't even fit in the little thing that keeps them separated for the week and my night pills I can just keep in a bag on the counter so I don't forget to take them. I also believe I have Fibro but am going to the doc next month to verify. So I may change my list after that. But so far so good. Hope this helps you.

Luv Sugs

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

If y'all don't mind, I'll give my list as well.
Viactiv Multi vitamin, Super Complex B and C, Levoxyl, Effexor XR, Loestrin, Prilosec OTC, Trazadone, Etodolade, Chromium Picolinate, and FLaxseed oil.

Some are script others are herbal. I have to ask too, do any of you go thru nights of unbelieveable sweating? Like you've run and run and run?
Beware the Penguin

Cameo

Sweating

Post by Cameo »

Penquin you mention sweating at night. For the last year or so I seem to sweat like a pig in the upper chest area (I am a guy not a girl) whenever I have dream (not necessarily a bad dream just a long one). I'll wake up for a second or two then feeling fine (but very, very sweaty) and feel like I just had a very good sleep only to realize that I have hardly even been in bed very long. Also only happens when I was sleeping on my back. Actually I seem to have had problems sleeping or more so getting to sleep in the evenings, yet I can zonk out for an hour at woork or just when I get home after work. Today I just found out about this RLS thing and it seems to fit in my picture. My arms, back, waist and especially my legs get very itchy in the evenings with a "pins & needles" sensation when left unscratched can increase to a very painfull state. Even during the day I get this prickly feeling to a certain extent. Sometimes just sitting and watching TV I get the feeling like I want to crawl out of my skin, even sometimes the bottom of my feet under my toes get the "pins & needles". It can get pretty uncomfortable and embarassing feeling like you just want to squirm out of your body while other people are watching TV with you. I can only imagine it is kinda like how a person feels going through some drug withdrawl. Moving around or walking around does help a little.
I use daily: Celexa, Oxycodone (percocet), Multi-vitamin, Omega-3,
Occasionally use: Feldene, Prevacid, Tagemet, ferrous sulfate (iron) and some times a very mild type of vallium (not sure of the name exapham or something like it.
Monthly : B-12 shot.
Also I have been an off and on again smoker (1/2 pack a day) but I have stopped just about 4 months ago except for one evening a few weeks back.

When I really can not get to sleep because of the itching (sometimes it feels like there is crumbs or fine sand on my sheets and no they are not dirty sheets), I will take a percocet which helps a lot physically but percocet has lots of caffiene in it so then I feel ok, but wide awake mentally, so then I need the vallium to help me nod off.

I always thought that I just suffered from dry skin but now I'm not so certain? Does any of this sound like RLS to any of you?
Thanks for any ideas or thoughts any of you may have.

Cameo

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Cameo
Thanks so MUCH for responding about the sweating. I've been tested for menopause and I'm not there yet. So, I find with the dreaming it is the key for the sweats. But I don't know it is RLS related. The itching I used to blame on dry skin as well, but I soak myself every morning with moisturizer.

We have to keep each other posted!
Thanks again all!
Love Dawn
Beware the Penguin

Lovechild3113

Re: Sweating

Post by Lovechild3113 »

Cameo wrote:Penquin you mention sweating at night. For the last year or so I seem to sweat like a pig in the upper chest area (I am a guy not a girl) whenever I have dream (not necessarily a bad dream just a long one). I'll wake up for a second or two then feeling fine (but very, very sweaty) and feel like I just had a very good sleep only to realize that I have hardly even been in bed very long. Also only happens when I was sleeping on my back. Actually I seem to have had problems sleeping or more so getting to sleep in the evenings, yet I can zonk out for an hour at woork or just when I get home after work. Today I just found out about this RLS thing and it seems to fit in my picture. My arms, back, waist and especially my legs get very itchy in the evenings with a "pins & needles" sensation when left unscratched can increase to a very painfull state. Even during the day I get this prickly feeling to a certain extent. Sometimes just sitting and watching TV I get the feeling like I want to crawl out of my skin, even sometimes the bottom of my feet under my toes get the "pins & needles". It can get pretty uncomfortable and embarassing feeling like you just want to squirm out of your body while other people are watching TV with you. I can only imagine it is kinda like how a person feels going through some drug withdrawl. Moving around or walking around does help a little.
I use daily: Celexa, Oxycodone (percocet), Multi-vitamin, Omega-3,
Occasionally use: Feldene, Prevacid, Tagemet, ferrous sulfate (iron) and some times a very mild type of vallium (not sure of the name exapham or something like it.
Monthly : B-12 shot.
Also I have been an off and on again smoker (1/2 pack a day) but I have stopped just about 4 months ago except for one evening a few weeks back.

When I really can not get to sleep because of the itching (sometimes it feels like there is crumbs or fine sand on my sheets and no they are not dirty sheets), I will take a percocet which helps a lot physically but percocet has lots of caffiene in it so then I feel ok, but wide awake mentally, so then I need the vallium to help me nod off.

I always thought that I just suffered from dry skin but now I'm not so certain? Does any of this sound like RLS to any of you?
Thanks for any ideas or thoughts any of you may have.

Cameo

Cameo, what state are you from?, and why do they have you on oxycodone? Just curious. You don't have to answer the questions. I was just curious.

Jamie
Lovechild3113
Jamie Wilderman

Cameo

Re: Sweating

Post by Cameo »

Cameo, what state are you from?, and why do they have you on oxycodone? Just curious. You don't have to answer the questions. I was just curious.

Jamie
Lovechild3113[/quote]

State, what State? I'm a true blue Canadian here in Alberta. Oxycodone painkiller for Ankylosing Spondolitis (arthritis in the spine) but works on just about any kind of pain. It is very powerful and not something that should be taken without doctor's guidance

Cameo

becat

Hello

Post by becat »

Hello To Cameo and welcome.
Hello to all.
I didn't comment on this conversation because I rarely break a sweat, not a good thing. I can say that living in Texas during the summer could make anyone sweat, so I do then.
But night sweats, nope. Couple of thoughts here.
I thought that nightime sweating brings a totally different issue to mind and you would think THIS IS ONE I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT.
Heart problems can cause night sweats. Hubby had them for years until they got his medications right. They are back for now, but not close to what it was. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just give the thought that it's a possiblity.
The other thing I noticed was the dreaming thing.
Jumpyowl gave us some interesting information about dreams in his thread about RLS and depression. I thought it was so wild to read how dreams work inside us. Here's part of what he says and the link to his thread below.

Depression, Dreaming and Exhaustion:The New Link

How your thoughts affect you physically

"Depressed people dream up to three times as much as non-depressed people."

This is a startling, and illuminating fact. And when combined with a recent breakthrough in dream and depression research by Joseph Griffin of the European Therapy Studies Institute, it gives us a clear understanding of the how depression affects us physically.

The cycle of depression starts with depressive thinking style. On the negative aspects of things, and depressing thoughts one would keep ruminating. This brings about stress that is not ressolved. These open loops have to be ressolved by the brain which it does during extensive REM periods at night. This is hard work for the brain and it occurs at the expense of the deep, relaxing sleep phases. So one wakes up exhausted and fatigued in the morning, or early in the morning.

The continued stress shows up in increased cortisol level in one's blood (the stress hormone).

http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=542

Cameo he says qoute "Yes, I started to wake up at 4 am, then 2-3 am at night and felt wide awake."

You need to read it, pretty cool stuff. I miss Jumpy, what a great thinker. He always makes me think as well.
Just wanted to add two cents worth.
Hugs to all.

Jess

night sweats

Post by Jess »

About the night sweats.....I used to suffer from this. Last year I found out that I was allergic to sulfur. Since I have cut this out of my diet (not easy) and the night sweats have gone away. My limbs still twitch restlessly but I am sleeping somewhat better than before.

-Jess

pam70

Post by pam70 »

I am only on Clonopin for now, almost at .50 at night. It helps me sleep deepy, but I am finding myself constantly having to increase it (buidling up a tolerance so fast...been on it less than a week already).

Anyone else finding themselves having to increase clonopin regularly?

legmover

yes

Post by legmover »

[quote="pam70"]I am only on Clonopin for now, almost at .50 at night. It helps me sleep deepy, but I am finding myself constantly having to increase it (buidling up a tolerance so fast...been on it less than a week already).

Anyone else finding themselves having to increase clonopin regularly?[/quote]yes clonidine is a adictive supstence and you will build a tollerence to it and need higher doses. But the worst if you have been on it for a while and end up needing to change meds to none adictive kind you will go through heal withdraws not fun i went through it once so be carefull. :roll: :?
when your restless dont worrie you not alone were in this togrther.
Joanne

ticky

rls meds

Post by ticky »

I dont know if its the same thing with a dfferent name or a completely different med, but I was taking clonazapam fr a while and it helped a lot but I was having to increase my dosage about every two weeks or so. My doc had me switch to cardopa and that was the same but much faster in my getting used to it. Now im taking mirapex. It seems to be helping but I do have to increase the dosage depending on several factors I suppose (time of the month, water retension etc...) Has anyone tried the new drug Requip yet? I am axious to try it.
I've also found that on nights when even the mirapex in double doses doesnt work, vicodin can help. It doesnt always help with the restless legs, but you dont mind quite so much (haha).