The tens units

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rthom

The tens units

Post by rthom »

I'm looking for information from those having tried the tens machine--
Did it help the PLM and make the RLS a lot worse, etc.
I was told that sleepdancer may have some information as well.

Polar Bear

Re: The tens units

Post by Polar Bear »

I tried the tens machine but it didn't help me at all, however IIRC for anyone who felt that it did help it took some time to locate the best position for the electrodes.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

thanks--- IIRC? a person or a short form?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

IIRC = If I remember correctly.
First time I saw it I also had to ask what it meant :roll:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:IIRC = If I remember correctly.
First time I saw it I also had to ask what it meant :roll:

But, see how easy it is to start using them????? And we're not even texting.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rlsidaho

Post by rlsidaho »

I've used one. It feels good while it's turned on but the RLS symptoms returned as soon as I turned off the machine. I likened it to a short recess from the symptoms.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When I tried it the WED symptoms kept on going even when the tens machine was in use.
Actually I might have been using the tens machine and the WED symptoms would start.
Betty

rthom

Post by rthom »

When I tried it the WED symptoms kept on going even when the tens machine was in use.
Actually I might have been using the tens machine and the WED symptoms would start.

This is what i expected would happen--just wondered if the pain associated with it would lessen--tight crampy muscles. etc. Do you have problems with that, and do you remember any change?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I wouldn't be aware of pain with WED.
However, I do also have fibromyalgia.
Have to say that I haven't noticed any quantifiable improvement from a tens machine
whatever the reason for its use.
Betty

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I had a physical therapist try the TENS unit on me and it worked for a little while. How do you know what points to use? I know the points on the neck helped me.

rlsidaho

Post by rlsidaho »

From my experience, the Tens units are like massage. It works the outer muscles but if your pain is like mine. It is deep in the leg. These things at best provide a distraction and perhaps momentary relief but nothing more.