Vicks Vapo-Rub on Soles of Feet

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ViewsAskew

Re: Vicks Vapo-Rub on Soles of Feet

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've been thinking that this really may be helpful for people who also have neuropathy. The Vicks may resolve the neuropathic pain. I get a bit of neuropathy once in awhile and I find that it will always make my WED worse. Always. So, resolving it could easily impact the WED positively.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Robin says the foot-arch relex circuit is uniquely human, but researchers have created/bred dogs, mice, and fruit flies that appear to have RLS. So if the foot-arch reflex has something to do with it, it is probaly involved in only some RLS/WED patients, while others (eg. polar bear, for whom the Vicks did not work) have issues somewhere else in the neural circuits -- - spinal cord, brain stem, wherever.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ejaneberry

Post by ejaneberry »

ViewsAskew wrote:Some other people have used Icy-hot, which I think works similarly.

Tried it and it worked. I'm going to keep doing it and see if it continues. Tired of throwing my hips and back out from my legs wanting to fly every where

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My husband uses it around his toes to heal fungus. It works. Healed his feet, then keeps it away.

Kansas

Post by Kansas »

I read that about the man who rubbed the insoles of his wife's feet. I rub mine with generic Vicks, put on socks, then rub theragesic on my calves, being sure to massage the lower legs. I wear leg warmers. that usually stops the RLS so I can go to sleep for 2 or 3 hours.