arrrrrrgggggggggggg

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jrowley

arrrrrrgggggggggggg

Post by jrowley »

Well I went to my doctor the other day as he had up'ed my mirapex to .5mg and it was causing me horrible pain and keeping me up at night tossing and turning. Well he said we have basiclly exhausted all that he could do for me, as the meds that they have given me mirapex and klonopin are not working, so he is sending me to a neurologist for a emg to be done to rule out there isn't something else going on. This is going to drive me absolutly nuts. He also raised my mirapex to 1mg and I took one two nights ago and had to go home early yesterday from work cuz I was so exhausted. Last night I decided not to take it. Not as tired but the legs are still achey of cours and still going numb. I just want to scream. :evil:
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

sheila m

Hi Jan

Post by sheila m »

I know how you feel I take mirapex , I also see a neurologist but he doesn't seem to know what is wrong with me either except that he say's my pain in my leg isn't from the restless leg, I also take amitriptyline for nerve pain which isn't really helping either , I am also a diabetic I only take pills but I know how bad the pain gets it took almost 2 years for the doctors to do something they also put me on a pain patch then switched to a genaric patch which made me sick so now I have to wait for my insurance company to ok for me to use the brand name again to see if I get sick from it , I also work and on my feet all the time at work so I know what pain is , it started in my calf and now it is going up my leg it is only getting worse and I have had every test you can think of it would take all day to tell you my latest test was a sleep test that is how they found the restless leg and that I have a small airway but not bad enough to say I had sleep apnia . I know it is a no win situation I am to my wits end I don't sleep I was keeping my husband up so for the past 2 years I have been sleeping on the couch and he sleeps on the love seat I am hoping to get a new bed soon because we had a water bed and I could not sleep in it . I am new here but I know the pain you all are going through and some of the problems you all are haveing ............

sheila

mich711

mirapex insomnia

Post by mich711 »

Perhaps the Mirapex kept you awake. I know it did for me....I got vitually no sleep on Mirapex. Felt better soon after getting off that stuff. Sure, it helped with the RLS, but it caused horrible insomnia. I'd rather have the RLS. IT's a common side effect. I too want to scream. I'm a light sleeper, so I have continuously awakened by RLS. This is sickening.

sleeplessinpa

Post by sleeplessinpa »

I have rls with leg pain. The pain is a deep ache that runs the length of the back of my leg. My neuro prescribed a TENS unit for the pain. It does help. I sleep with it on when the pain is really bad. It blocks the pain signals somehow. It does not help with the movement - I keep ruining the electrodes (ripping the wires out).

becat

Evening to you all

Post by becat »

I really don't understand when people don't believe that RLS can be painful. Heck, If I started out with "growing pains" as a kid........Seems natural that I might have pain with my RLS as an adult.
Jan, I've said a dozen times, but I really believe that my RLS is better served by breaking it down into issues. It does so many different things to everyone.
If pain is an issue, then address the pain. Sleep? Go after that. There are so many medications and most seem to use a combination. If it's Mirapex and klonipin or if it's pain and sleep medication, what ever works right?
I know your just waiting til those test, as always my thoughts are with you...all good ones for ya.