Increased Sunlight

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
WendyRoseberry

Increased Sunlight

Post by WendyRoseberry »

Increased sunlight during the day prevents my RLS from occurring. On sunny days I go outside as soon as the sun is over the horizon for at least 30 minutes (without sunscreen). On cloudy days I also use a light box for 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the afternoon before 6pm. This is the only practice that reduces RLS for me. Since this extra sunlight suggests RLS responds to increased Vitamin D…I’m going to see if a daily dose of cod liver oil helps as well (when traveling or when I can’t get enough sunlight). I’ll report back when I have tried this over an adequate period of time.

ViewsAskew

Re: Increased Sunlight

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wendy, several of us have noted that are symptoms are decreased when we take vitamin D. It doesn't eliminate mine, but they are not as bad. More importantly, to me, is that my mood is much better. I truly feel depressed and unhappy when my D is low.

On the days you can't go out, I wonder what would happen if you took D?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

majoraward

Post by majoraward »

My doctor prescribes vitamin D3 for me, he said there have been studies showing that viatamin D helps RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

yes, one recent study. Good for him, he's so on top of things!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

badnights wrote:yes, one recent study. Good for him, he's so on top of things!

Could you share the citation for this? I'd like to read it and, for some reason, I can't find the research thread today.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.