Inversion table

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Daedalus

Inversion table

Post by Daedalus »

Hi - I was getting pretty concerned about the discomfort I have been getting in my right leg, which was keeping me awake on a regular basis for months.
I visited a chiropractor at first, thinking I had a problem with my hip, but it wasn't that at all.
On seeing the x-rays of my lower back however, I was shocked to see the compression in the discs between the lower vertebrae.
I decided on the spot to get an inversion table on which I could hang upside down and reverse the effect of gravity on my spine.
The results have been very impressive. I spend 10 minutes in the inverted position per session - normally once a day and the difference in the sensitivity of the nerve in my leg is greatly reduced.
This along with an increase in flexibility.
No doubt we may not all share exactly the same condition, but I recommend trying this if you have a chance.
For me the relief was almost immediate.
I still get irritation issues with the nerves in my right leg after a long period sitting, but a few minutes on the inversion table before bed sorts it out.
I hope this helps someone to get some sleep!

rthom

Re: Inversion table

Post by rthom »

Thanks for the idea--glad it's helping you!

badnights

Re: Welcome New Members - January 2013

Post by badnights »

Deadelus, a lot of people see a correlation between spinal nerve compression and WED/RLS symptom severity, but nothing I know of has been published about it.

WED or no WED, the inversion table is a great way to stretch the spine. If you can't afford one, various stretching exercises can help. Someone posted one a while back: here it is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7725&p=59166&hilit=exercises#p59166 The spinal decompression exercise he gives is pretty good. Read the instructions carefully. It's pretty simple, and very effective when done right.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.