detox soaks

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
peanut1

detox soaks

Post by peanut1 »

A combination of epsom salts and baking soda which is known as a good detox bath has helped the WEB at least temporarily. You need to soak for at LEAST 20 minutes, but no more than 40 minutes. I'm been soaking every day and am grateful for having some extra relief. Not sure how long this will last, but I'm grateful for whatever relief I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badnights

Re: detox soaks

Post by badnights »

that's great, peanut.
you don't get the same effect from a bath with no salts? I love a hot bath, it kills the symptoms dead (as long as they're mild)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hot bath does nothing for me..... I get twitchy almost immediately.
Without medications I needed cold water.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

Well it worked for a couple of days and gave me some reprieve, but right now I'm riding on 3.5 hours of sleep for the past 2 days!!! Some of it was due to stress--I think.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

The bath worked a lot better last night as I figured out what was stressing me. So detox baths as well as most stuff is definately NOT a cure for RLS, but it certainly can help.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

PS badnights
I'm not sure if a regular hot bath soak for 30 minutes would do the same thing. I guess I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone as the detox baths are good for helping clear out the toxins which can help with overall health and that can help me cope with the WED better along with less sleep.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Makes sense; we want results if at all possible.

I don't think there's any evidence that toxins leave our body by soaking in salty water, but who knows.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I was direly sick with food poisoning a few weeks ago (vomiting anything remotely related to liquid, including my saliva every 10 minutes) and took the salty water (baking soda/epsom salt) bath and it completely stopped the vomiting. I was able to drink and hold liquids down after that. I was still weak and nauseaus when standing or walking so a few hours later I took a second detox bath and the nausea and weakness completely went away. I was also able to eat solids and hold it down then. Several hours later, I was still too weak to walk the dogs so I took a third soak and within the hour (after the soak) went on a 2-mile walk with my dogs. I didn't take or do anything else for the food poisoning. I guess you could say, I'm a believer from personal experience with this. The key is to keep trying and to stay in the best health possible to cope with and deal and/or possibly help the WED.