caffeine

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
HUC

caffeine

Post by HUC »

I've suffered with RLS for about 3-4 years. It started right after I helped with some heavy work and lifting of boxes. I do have a lot of degenerative changes in my lower spine. I am on MIrapex and have had to increase it several times. I did see much improvement after giving up caffeine. Does anyone else have any information on any other simple changes like that I could try. Occasionally I have a good night with no pacing the floor and I'd sure like to know why some nights are better than other. But compared to some I read about on this site, I am lucky. Once I get to sleep, I don't wake up from the RLS. MY doctor is understanding but he really has no idea what to do next. Why do some people go to a sleep clinic? One of our doctors is opening a sleep clinic and it advertises for people with RLS. I can't see how that could be of any benefit. Gen

becat

Hi Huc

Post by becat »

Hi HUC and welcome.
I used to be able to get to sleep only to have RLS wake me up. Now I don't even get to sleep without the aid of medications. So I'm am happy sleep is still a wonderful thing for you. That's great.
Caffiene is not good for RLS, however it's still one of my greatest pleasures til about 3 PM. I'm not totally off caffiene, but am a good girl at night and drink water. It is good to avoid the use and I'm working on it. :) (it's hard when you don't sleep, to stay awake the next day, so give me a mini pass on this one)
Sleep docs.......well that is what I see. They like sleep studies, to see how and if you rest at night. They can tell if your getting good resturive (sp?) or is there RLS or PLMD present that keeps your body from really resting. It's one of the best ways to diagnosis RLS. Sleep docs have good success with RLS because most think this is an at rest problem. Like any doc out there if they don't know much about RLS, it wouldn't matter what test you took.
So I'm adding a link started by our Ann, it's full of great information to educate yourself with. I like #1 and #12 best.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549
1. is the RLS Algorithm, it's the Mayo Clinic's gudie to diagnosis and treatment. THey offer a PDF file so print one for yourself and any doc you see. That way if you want to stay with you doc, he/she will have the lastest info about treatment.
12. is a link to the website We Move. This page about RLS under the research tab above, offers a listing and explaination of the most common medications used for RLS. This way you'll know what is out there yourself and can educate yourself about the medication.

Mirapex works wonderfully for tons of people. No it's not unususal to have to up the dose. If it still works most of the time great. If you could get away with a sleep aid on those other nights wonderful. It really comes down to what your issues are and what you need to do to get some rest.
Everyone of us is different slightly in medications and symptoms. There is no across the board answers for all of us.
This section.....NON-PHARM is just full of idea that have worked for some and then some that did not. THere is no cure, so skip them. But don't stop reading to see if there is a good idea for you.
Sorry you had to find us, but glad your here now.

ticky

Post by ticky »

Hi Huc and Becat,
Im new to this discussion of different treatments for rls but Im not new to rls. My father has had it as long as I can remember and I recognised the symptoms immeadiatly at the on-set. So I have been self medicating for years until I was diagnosed during a sleep test for sleep aphnea. Sleep tests are important. Its amazing the kind of things you can find out during a sleep test. I discovered the reasons for my migrains, the reasons for my memory loss an severe exhaustion. I was getting about 40% oxygen saturation, not enough to surive on for long. Long story short, I sleep with oxygen and a c-pap. This really did improve on the rls too! Otherwise, hot showers (or cold in hot weather.. anything to help regulate my body temperature) I also take mirapex and on some nights have to increase my dosage, but I start at 0.25 mg per night and increase that by half to full dose depening on the night. Also sleeping naked (I know this sounds weird, but the less touching me at night, the better) and getting plenty of excersize and water during the day. I also limit my caffine which is really hard! but sugar too. Streaching and massage helps as well. My aunt suffers from rls as well and she says sleeping on her stomach helps her, my cousin ices her feet. I have hot and cold spots during a bad attack so just general regulation of all over body temperature is best for me. When I do pace, I walk slowly and delberatly, rolling each foot forward in a massaging motion, the movement helps as does the foot massage. If all else fails, either a sleep aide like ambian or even vicodin helps.
This is getting a bit longer then I ment but I hope it helps and that it gives you some new information! :P