revivative circulation booster

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rthom

revivative circulation booster

Post by rthom »

Has anyone tried this before bed? What happened?

Polar Bear

Re: revivative circulation booster

Post by Polar Bear »

I googled this and see that Amazon has machines at around £180 sterling.
If it is primarily for circulation I wonder would it have any benefit with regard to WED symptoms?
I haven't tried it myself -and I'm a bit cynical about this sort of thing.
Perhaps some other members will have experience of it - hopefully positive.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My husband has Type 2 Diabetes and his feet are always cold (as are mine). He is going to order one of these Circulation Booster thingys... £95 sterling on Amazon. It gets very good reviews for the purpose for which he is ordering it.

I remembered there had been previously been posts about Circulation Boosters - at that time I doubted that it would provide any benefit for WED symptoms. Reviews on Amazon do refer to it helping RLS (WED) and 'jumpy legs'.

We will both use it and see if it helps foot circulation and our cold feet.

However, I am particularly interested to know if anyone has used it and had benefit for WED/RLS symptoms. ??
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

No, but I'm eager to hear your results.

My feet are always cold.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Of an evening I've been heating wheat bags in the microwave - one underneath my feet and one on top of my feet. That is as well as thin socks, fluffy socks and furry slouchy boot type slippers, hands not just as bad. I've read about Reynaud's and p/neuropathy and underactive thyroid (my thyroid is ok).

So, Circulation Booster is ordered by hubby and will arrive in a few days. And tomorrow I'm heading for the Outdoors Store to see what they have to offer in thermal socks.
I'm sure they will come in black/grey/brown, and nothing at all feminine !!

I've come across comments that WED sufferers are more prone to cold feet but that it hasn't been studied.

We are going to look an odd pair, his turn ... my turn :lol:

Further news, after we've tried the Booster. My d-in-law is in medicine and reckons these Boosters really only help folks who are very sedentary, and of course they are meant for circulatory conditions, not WED.
Betty

badnights

Circulation in legs - lower in evening in WED/RLS

Post by badnights »

I came across this study:
Reduced daytime intramuscular blood flow in patients with restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease (RLS/WED)
AIM: The aim of this study was to examine possible signs of impairment of the microcirculation in the lower extremities of female patients suffering from primary restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease. METHODS: This study was performed in eight female patients, mean age 48 years (range 21-65), diagnosed with primary restless legs syndrome but otherwise healthy. Eight healthy female control subjects, mean age 47 years (range 27-64), were also included in the study. Laser Doppler flowmetry was used to determine intramuscular blood flow by placing an optical single fibre in the tibialis anterior muscle belly. The studies were performed between 8-10 AM and 8-10 PM. Blood flow was expressed in perfusion units.

RESULTS: The median intramuscular blood flow in the restless legs syndrome-patients' tibialis anterior muscle, recorded from both legs, was significantly higher in the morning, 17.9 perfusion units, than in the evening, 12.1 perfusion units (P=0.004). Corresponding values for the healthy controls were 13.1 perfusion units and 12.0 perfusion units, a non-significant difference. The relative fold changes of microcirculation in the RLS group compared to healthy age matched controls were 0.7 ± 0.3 and 1.1 ± 0.6 respectively, P = 0.04.

CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that in female patients with primary restless legs syndrome, the microcirculation in the tibialis anterior muscle is higher in the morning compared with in the evening.

The title emphasizes that WED women have lower blood flow in the evening than in the morning. This leads us to presume that low blood flow might be a cause of our symptoms. But then notice the control women: their blood flow, both morning and evening, is about the same as the WED women's evening flow. I'm not sure how to interpret this information. The full article might reveal more.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Last night I forgot to take my medication at 5pm. At around 7pm I realised this and took my meds. Very soon afterwards my WED symptoms started...as they normally would, given that the dose just taken needed time to work.
As the symptoms started I decided to use the revitive circulation booster (rcb) thinking perhaps a controlled sensation would override the WED sensation. I stuck it for 10 minutes and had to stop and get walking.

I have been walking since about 8pm last night and it is now 8.30 am. No amount of extra medication has had any effect and this has to have been the worst night of WED that I can recall.

I need to cancel plans with hubby for today (he is still asleep) and find some sleep. We are booked for theatre tonight. I am standing swaying and jiggling as I type this on my Kindle. No way can I go to bed yet. I am exhausted to the point of tears.... actually I'm too weary for tears and I don't need the headache... literally.... that I'd end up with.

As regards the rcb.... perhaps this was a coincidence.
I've used it a couple of times without any obvious negative impact.
That's It... I'm off for more walkies.
Oh... I also spent time on the floor with feet up the wall.... didn't help either.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oh no! What a dreadful night! How awful! Now the day is lost. Did you try extra tramadol?
I'm sure it was a coincidence. The booster thing, even if it exacerbated your WED, would not have had such a long-lasting effect. Probably since the symptoms had already started, it could not have overcome them.

Maybe you can sleep this morning, when symptoms are less, and still go to the theatre tonight. Does this happen to you often?

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

badnights

Improving circulation in the legs - in case it helps WED

Post by badnights »

http://drbenkim.com/how-to-improve-bloo ... n-legs.htm

And on this page he suggests that poor circulation contributes to WED/RLS: http://drbenkim.com/acupressure-blood-c ... -feet.html

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Last night was highly unusual. I got an hour's sleep 9 - 10am.
I did take tramadol and also cocodamol.
But what I did discover this morning was my 3am .5mg dose of ropinerole still on my bedside table :oops:

Was wakened at 10am by postman knocking door. Hubby still sleeping :)

So it's out for late breakfast, our Saturday treat, and we'll see how the day goes.
Thanks for links badnights :)
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

[b][b]Reduced daytime intramuscular blood flow in patients with restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease (RLS/WED)

AIM: The aim of this study was to examine possible signs of impairment of the microcirculation in the lower extremities of female patients suffering from primary restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease. METHODS: This study was performed in eight female patients, mean age 48 years (range 21-65), diagnosed with primary restless legs syndrome but otherwise healthy. Eight healthy female control subjects, mean age 47 years (range 27-64), were also included in the study. Laser Doppler flowmetry was used to determine intramuscular blood flow by placing an optical single fibre in the tibialis anterior muscle belly. The studies were performed between 8-10 AM and 8-10 PM. Blood flow was expressed in perfusion units.

RESULTS: The median intramuscular blood flow in the restless legs syndrome-patients' tibialis anterior muscle, recorded from both legs, was significantly higher in the morning, 17.9 perfusion units, than in the evening, 12.1 perfusion units (P=0.004). Corresponding values for the healthy controls were 13.1 perfusion units and 12.0 perfusion units, a non-significant difference. The relative fold changes of microcirculation in the RLS group compared to healthy age matched controls were 0.7 ± 0.3 and 1.1 ± 0.6 respectively, P = 0.04.

CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that in female patients with primary restless legs syndrome, the microcirculation in the tibialis anterior muscle is higher in the morning compared with in the evening.

The title emphasizes that WED women have lower blood flow in the evening than in the morning. This leads us to presume that low blood flow might be a cause of our symptoms. But then notice the control women: their blood flow, both morning and evening, is about the same as the WED women's evening flow. I'm not sure how to interpret this information. The full article might reveal more.
[/b][/b]

So in us WED women, bloodflow in the evening is not lower than other female non sufferers.
It is actually significantly higher in the mornings. Bloodflow is higher at the time when we expect to have least symptoms.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

yes. That's how I read it.