Sleep Hygene

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rthom

Sleep Hygene

Post by rthom »

Ok so it's common knowledge that we need to have good sleep hygene, especially because of the WED, But how do we accomplish this best. Some say do not spend merely mnutes in bed and some say no more than 1/2 hr before getting up. Does it even really apply to us? Should we move the tv's out and lay there in hopes we can sleep? How many fall asleep with it on because it causes a bit of distraction?

Polar Bear

Re: Sleep Hygene

Post by Polar Bear »

Used to watch tv and I'd fall asleep while it was on.

TV is now rarely on in the bedroom. Low light, read, if hubby finishes reading before me it's all lamps off and I have a back light in my kindle. When I feel like sleeping the kindle lands on the floor and I usually go over ok, but waken after an hour or two.

I usually reckon, 15 minutes of trying to sleep and if no luck then I read again, or more likely I would get up for an hour or so. (at least an hour).
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation