light therapy

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
rthom

light therapy

Post by rthom »

This month's WED foundation magasine talks about a small study done on the Tranquilme light therapy system. Only ten in the study Not done by the wed foundation I don't think

Here's the numbers:
6 participants reported lessening symptoms
4 no improvements
1 worsening symptoms

star rating out of 5:

overall rating 3.3
performance 3.6
Liklihood to continue use 3.4
value 4.3

badnights

Re: light therapy

Post by badnights »

There's an interesting study in that free journal: vibration pads decrease WED symptoms, but they worked just as well as pads that emitted sound but no vibration, and pads that emitted light but no vibration. They suggest that sensory distraction was key in creating this effect. I have not read the articles and only skimmed the abstracts; I undoubtedly missed something.

Part I is here, with links to PArts II and III at the bottom of the page:
http://www.dovepress.com/sleep-improvem ... icle-JPRLS
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

It must be based on counterstimulation I should think? Like a hot shower of walking on cold tiles can help.

Corrie

badnights

Post by badnights »

exactly.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.