Green tea drinkers?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Sara

Green tea drinkers?

Post by Sara »

Hey, folks--

Just thought I'd post this as food for thought, for whatever it's worth.

Just heard some research that green tea, for all its other great attributes, has been proven to block absorption of folic acid. I know that there's no conclusive evidence about folic acid and RLS, but it's something some people have had good results with, so there may well be some connection.

Green tea's caffeine might be as big a problem for RLSers as any folic acid problem, but at any rate, if any of you drink green tea habitually, you might at least keep an eye out to see if it seems to have any affect on your RLS symptoms.

It was interesting to me.
Sara

joelle

Green tea

Post by joelle »

I'm new to the board here, and actually am new to even knowing there was a name for this problem! I'm relieved to see that it's real and there may be things I can do to manage it. I remember having RLS since I was a kid. I can't think of a time when I didn't have it. But on the subject of green tea, I can tell you I drink about 4 or 5 large cups a day of green tea and it helps a lot of things, but it doesn't seem to touch my RLS. I've been a huge green tea drinker for about 4 years now. That said, I'm going to try some of the suggestions I'm seeing on this site --including adding iron to my diet as I am iron defficient. I hope there really is a connection there! Thanks for posting your ideas!
--J.