Another year, another breakthrough . . .

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
notnowdad

Another year, another breakthrough . . .

Post by notnowdad »

As I reported about a year ago, I have had almost complete relief from RLS by following the Blood Type Diet as developed by Dr. Peter d'Adamo. I would sometimes have occasional flare ups of RLS, but they were minor and short lived. I attributed these episodes to certain foods which I thought I should avoid even though they were permitted in the diet for my blood type (Type A, non-secretor), but I was having trouble establishing a tight cause and effect relationship. After watching a show on PBS with Dr. Joel Fuhrman talking about a diet emphasizing "super foods", I decided to try increasing my intake of "greens, onions, mushrooms, beans and berries". Very soon my RLS came back as bad as ever. Because all the foods I was eating were allowed by the blood type diet and mostly classified as "highly beneficial" for type A's, I was confused and frustrated. I thought I was losing control over my body and well being, and my "cure" was no longer going to work for me. While doing further research on healthful foods, I discovered a list of foods classified as "goitrogenic". I had been including foods from this list in every meal and every snack since I started going for the "super foods". In addition to the broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, kale, and turnips of the cruciferous family, I was eating fresh cherries and strawberries daily, and peanuts were my favorite snack. Even the freshly ground flax seed meal I was putting on my morning oatmeal turned out to be goitrogenic. After I stopped eating these foods, my RLS was gone within two days.

Because goitrogenic foods affect thyroid function, I went to my doctor for testing. He reported that my thyroid hormone was low but within range for my age. My thyroid was not enlarged. I experimented with Brussel sprouts and found that eating them caused the RLS to return in about 36 hours. I ate them at several successive meals in order to induce a good bout of RLS and went back for another thyroid test. My hormone level was still low and within normal range. In a recent post on this discussion board, a poster reporting having good results with iodine supplements. I have gone back to using iodized salt.

For those considering trying the blood type diet, I want to say I don't follow it rigidly. However, I am very careful to avoid those foods which carry lectins that agglutinate type A blood and cause it to become inefficient. This has greatly improved my overall health and energy level. I also lost 24 pounds without cutting back on the amount of food and wine I consume.

By the way, I recently read another poster's good results with kale. I also had some success masking my symptoms several years ago by eating large amounts of raw broccoli, which is rich in sulforafane, for breakfast every day. I was working on the theory that RLS might be primarily a circulatory issue and sulforafane was being used to help diabetics with circulatory issues. I can't explain the apparent contradiction of people having good results with goitrogenic foods. I may experiment with some goitrogenic foods like broccoli in the future to see if I can tolerate certain ones, but for the moment I'm just enjoying being free of RLS.

Polar Bear

Re: Another year, another breakthrough . . .

Post by Polar Bear »

We are always delighted to hear of what is working for someone, and you have presented your information very well. Any of our members who wishes will be able to glean information without difficulty.

Enjoy your freedom from RLS/WED.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation