little things that help

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Kimm

little things that help

Post by Kimm »

Hi everyone. I have had RLS since I was a child. About 5 years ago I also developed a painful small fiber neuropathy. Some of the pain medications that I take for the neuropathy help quite a bit. But, since this is a forum looking for help without the aide of pharmaceuticals I thought I would share some of the little things that have help me with my RLS.
I think the number one thing is making sure that your feet and legs are not hot. I found this out from my father who also suffered RLS. When I go to bed now I make sure that my feet and legs are not covered...if they are I can guarantee that I will wake up with a bad case of RLS. This is also helpful while sitting around in your house or if you are a passenger in a car...take off your shoes!!(and probably your socks also) The other tip that I have is a little harder to explain(and a bit embarrassing). I have found that if I wait too long to go to the bathroom, I will get bad RL. I found this out from car rides. I have never been a person who wants to make many pit stops, but now that I know this about myself, I stop with every twinge! I know it sounds strange. Make sure you "go" before bed, and if you wake up and need to... GO!! I told a friend with RLS about these two tips and she called me back a couple weeks later thanking me like crazy. The more obvious solution is a hot bath before bed. It can help you with getting to sleep, but doesn't necessarily keep you asleep.

Anyway, my RLS kept me from sleeping for way too many years. My case is also quite severe, and there is no way that I could deal anymore without the added benefit of medication. Give these couple of tips a try though...I think you will be pleasantly surprised. :o

becat

HI Kimm

Post by becat »

Hi Kimm,
I would agree that taking off your shoes is a wonderful thing. In fact my normal shoes are mocosinns (sp?). I have worn them for years know. Certainly a fashion statement......lol
If I can't wear them, I cheat and wear something I can slip off.
Luckily, hubby knows if I'm not medicated for a long trip.....his stopping more than once so I can walk around. I always buy him the extra larger drink, so he has to stop too.
I'm right with ya, life without medications is not to be thought of. I, too, am a lifer of RLS. But I will try almost everything to see if less meds. is possible.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope this finds you with a good night coming to ya.