Possible Relief.... Positive Update #2, It's helping!!!!!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]

Possible Relief.... Positive Update #2, It's helping!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Ok here's an update. (See prior posts)

Dori Davi (my 76 yr old mother-in-law and San Francisco Bay Area RLS Support Group Leader) has been on this "Sleep and Wellness Earthing Mattress Pad" for a total of 9 days....first for 5 days....then she went to Hawaii for 8 days and did not have the pad....and then now back on the pad for 4 days.

During the first 5 days, she slept very good with no RLS flare ups, plus she now has improved circulation and no longer has to wear socks at night for warmth (this helps here diabetes circulation ailment)

In Hawaii, she actually said she slept pretty good (once again, she didn't have the pad). She, kiddingly, said it was from all the martinis!!!...she was there for a 50 year Navy reunion trip)

During the last 4 days back home on the pad; she has slept VERY good with no RLS flare ups (and with no sleep meds!!! which means no side effects!!!). She usually is a 5-6 am morning-waker – she has been waking up after 8am and feeling more restful.

It took me a while and much reading of the studies on this "Sleep Pad" to determine if it was worth trying this "Earthing" technology for Dori. It has been very, well worth it for her. It may work for others too.

Please email me through this site's PM or directly to my email address; tomnann@surewest.net and I can forward you the clinical studies and results that I have gathered on this.

PS> One good thing is I still have about 70 days left on the guarantee so I can return it if things change.

Peace,
Tom

buzz

Possible relief

Post by buzz »

Ok, what is this mattress thingy? I've had RLS for several years now, but since my last back surgery I haven't been bothered till about a week ago, now I'm back where I was before. Sleepless, pain and discomfort most all nights. I do not take any neuro meds, but saw this post and wondered what the mattress is and some info about it. Thanks, buzzraef :shock:

Tom (exspeedster)

RLS/Sleep Relief

Post by Tom (exspeedster) »

Hi Buzz,

Sorry to hear of the discomfort you are going through.

The sleep pad is called a "Sleep and Wellness System". The technology is basically "grounding" or "earthing". The pad lowers our conductive body voltage (which is usually between 1.5 and 5.0) that we are receving from low level electromagnetic fields (EMFs) from around our house (lamps, TVs, computers, house wiring). Here is the amazing thing. One can measure this with a simple volt meter -- my mother-in-law measures 2.8 when she was laying on her bed without the pad!!! That is high. With the pad, it drops to .004, which is the natural charge of the earth. The earth's natural negative charge neutralizes the harmful, positive charge from the EMFs. Once again, this is simply proven from a simple voltmeter.

Studies have shown that these EMFs effect our sleep and elevates our ailment symptoms (like RLS, arthritis, etc...). The "earthing" process (which is a simple cable-port that goes from the sleep pad out a closed window and into the earth with a 12" rod) lowers the body's stress-hormone, Cortisol as well as inflammation. It also has prove to naturally increase our sleep-hormone, Melatonin -- this allows DEEPER and more restful, recovery sleeps. I would advise you to read up on the medical journal studies. That way you don't rely on little 'o laymen, me!!!

Seriously, I don't think I can attach any PDF files here. Email me at
tomnann@surewest.net and I will forward some of the research papers I've collected. They are pretty easy to follow and VERY eye-opening.

In the end, it isn't the studies that really matter -- it is the personal relief from pain and improved sleep one gets that matters -- like my mother-in-law. It has been such a benefit for her.

I truely hope you find relief from this, or something else.

Once again, my email is tomnann@surewest.net

PS> There is a 90-day guarantee. You'll know within 5-7 days if it helps. Just send it back if it doesn't work for you.

Peace and Health
Tom

nanaday

rls

Post by nanaday »

I am new to this site and have RLS. My daughter was telling me that
she was watching a tv program and they had a doctor on talking about RLS. It was a call in show and a lady called in and asked if he had ever heard that unwraping a bar of IVORY soap and putting it between the sheets gives relief. He said he had heard that from several people but there is no proof that it works. It really sounds silly. I did that last night.
I knew before I went to bed that my legs were going to give me fits.
I also have to tell you that I was completely exhausted but I did go right
to sleep and slept all night. My RLS is not something that happens every night. I would like to know if any of you have ever heard of this or have ever tried it.
thanks nana

exspeedster

Post by exspeedster »

Hi Nanaday

I have not heard or experienced the ivory soap "try". I am very happy that it worked for you.

I would encourage you to post your experience as a new post so others can read your experience. If someone else can find relief from this remedy, then it is all good. :D

Tom (exspeedster)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The soap thing has been circulating for many years. You can find many threads here and on other boards discussing it. The general consensus is that it does not work, however I know Becat does it and thinks it helps a little.

Ann

Sara

Post by Sara »

HI, Nana--

I'm with our little Becat. I've also done the soap in the bed thing, and like most non-pharm things, it doesn't make a BIG difference, but it seems to be a positive for me, as part of a number of non-pharm things. With my moderate nightly RLS, every little bit helps. :wink: I say, whatever works at ALL is worth doing.

BTW, I don't use Ivory. I use small hotel soaps or guest soaps, whatever I have on hand.

Sara :D

bird

lots of questions

Post by bird »

This is my first post. I've been reading all kinds of threads and I have a ton of questions. I'll start with the soap. I don't understand. Do you have to change the soap? How often? Where do you put it- inbetween the sheets under where your legs are?

I find that when I use sleep aids and anti depressants is really the only time I experience bad RLS. But my problem is I can't sleep and I'm depressed. If I can't get some sleep or help for depression I think I'll go crazy. Everytime I try a new sleep aid or anti-depressant my legs start jerking and I can't sleep.

I keep thinking maybe, if I could treat the RLS pre-emtively then I could take a sleeping pill and actually go to sleep. I don't know.

We all are struggling and I'm having trouble understanding why life has to be so tormenting. HELP!!

tom (exspeedster)

try the sleep pad

Post by tom (exspeedster) »

Bird, if sleep is the problem, try the sleep pad mentioned earlier in this thread. It has help my mother-in-law tremdously. There is a full refund policy if it doesn't.

Good luck
Tom
tomnann@surewest.net