what helps...

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Anonymous

what helps...

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, I'm new to the board. My symptoms are intermittent and annoying at times but not bad enough that I've gotten a perscription.

I've tried various 'remedies' over the years. I think drinking enough water, taking calcium, exercising, and not being constipated (sorry) helps. I avoid sitting on chairs or sofas where the circulation is cut off on the backs of my thighs...crossing my legs especially in the evening isn't a good idea. When I go to bed, at the first sign that my legs are getting twitchy, I get up and take a couple of aspirin. Sometimes stretching helps, or laying on my stomach...sometimes I do an exercise while laying on my stomach...kind of hard to describe but the movement comes from the hips and you kind of slide the legs back and forth against each other like lengthening one leg then the other...does that make sense? Sometimes getting out and bed and cutting my toenails helps...maybe it's a distraction. Whatever works.