Could this be RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Claes

Could this be RLS?

Post by Claes »

Hi all,

I have intermittent problems, mostly in my feet and legs but at times I've had it all over. In the legs it's all sorts of neurologic small issues you could think of: tingling, burning, crawling, a feeling of pressure, poor temperature sensation, coldness. I don't feel that I have to move the legs irresistibly but I have to get up and walk intermittently to relieve the symptoms and my legs usually jump by themselves quite a bit. It gets worse when I'm tired and if I concentrate on the feeling it gets worse. Especially the burning which on one (not so pleasant) occasion spread over my entire body. I also get a tingling feeling over the head and I have little burning areas over the whole body (not at the same time) which are (in contrast with the other burning) sensitive to touch. There is typically an area about 2 inches long or so that burns for about 2 days and then goes away. It can be months with very little symptoms and then it comes back for unclear reasons and disappears again. I've been completely at a loss as to what it might be, which my physicians have also been. I take Remeron at night so I don't have much trouble sleeping although I have had in the past, if I forget to take Remeron I notice because I can't go to sleep... Does this sound like RLS?

Thanks in advance,
Claes

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Claes--

Your symptoms sound very familiar to me. I would say it sounded like RLS-- and be assured that many of us here did our own initial self-diagnosis, either because the docs couldn't figure it out or because (like me) we just happened to stumble on someone or some resource that mentioned RLS and we put two and two together.

I even have a tingling head thing like you mentioned, which I never have personally connected with RLS... but I've thought it was weird. And a few of us here have an intermittent blotchy or patchy skin thing that burns/itches/swells. We talked about that once a few months ago.

I think you're probably in the right place... just wish you weren't suffering.

Welcome aboard!

Sara :D