Menopause and RLS???

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
fadgey

Menopause and RLS???

Post by fadgey »

I just surfed onto this site today,and have been sitting here reading through all the posts for hours.
I am 52 years old Female and my RLS just started a few weeks ago,two of my sisters got it around the same time,I am the youngest by 10 years,so I knew exactely what it was,it happens about every hour all night long and I am exausted.does any one think there is any link to hormones??as I am going through that and I get very hot flushes with the RLS ,I am very active all day,not over weight ,but have had trouble with leg problems since I was a child.I know this doesent explane why men get it ,but it is an odd coincedence that all my sisters got it around the time of menopause.I plan to see my doctor next week and get some blood work done,just to see if my iron is low,also I have developed a very sensitive skin,which sounds like it might be fibromialge??
I had no idea there were so many ppl out there with it I only know of myself and my sisters.I hope to hear from some of you as there is a great friendy feeling here.....Fadgey

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, fadgey. Glad you feel at home here although we all wish no one would ever have to feel at home here (if you get my drift). I have no intelligent offering about menopause, not sure I've ever heard it's a secondary cause, either. But lots of us have noted relationships to hormones and times of the month.

Ann

Post by Guest »

Hi all. I'm new here but thought I'd add what is going on with me. I had a total hysterectomy in 1998. I was on hormones for 5 years and felt great. I had to be taken off of them due to problems with bad mammograms. Of coarse the hot flashes hit me really hard then. My doctor put me on Effexor XR and the hot flashes stopped, but now I have RLS. The Effexor can cause this, but so far for me it is not as bad as the hot flashes were. I have Xanax to take when the RLS is really bad and it does help a lot. I am also taking Melatonin 3 mg to help with the sleeping situation. I've had problems with this since my hysterectomy. Right now things are going very well...........but I'm sure things will change at some point. :(

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry, I wasn't logged in, the above post is from me, soccermom718.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I've got two days to go off my Effexor XR.

I didn't realize how nasty that stuff was. I've been wanting to go off of it for quite some time and finally Doc listened and thanks to this site and these people, he now realizes that I know what I'm talking about!

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

Heronak

RLS & Hormones

Post by Heronak »

Heck yah, they're related in my case! My RLS kicks up a serious notch right before and during my period. Since secondary RLS happens for some women during pregnancy, I'd guess that's another hormonal connection.

My iron is on the low end of the scale, but taking supplements for 3 months did nothing to reduce my RLS symptoms.

Mirapex is working for me, for the most part. Hope you find some relief,

Heron