Two things

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
MikewRLS

Two things

Post by MikewRLS »

I too am a lifelong RLS victim. I don't think it is neurological. I think it is oxygen depletion. When the abdominal cavity becomes "full", there is less room for the lungs to occupy, therefore less oxygen. Many things can cause this fullness to occur. In my case it is swallowed air. When my RLS occurs, I force myself to burp, and burp, and burp. Within minutes, after repeated burping, the RLS is gone. I know, this sounds absurd that such a simple thing can work. But it does. Every time.
I have also had good results with stretching my hamstrings. I reason that this stretching loosens the muscles and allows more blood flow, thus more oxygen to my legs. (it may be that the bending over to stretch pushes the air out of my stomach - I always burp when stretching my hamstrings). In any event, these two things always relieve my RLS.
Hope this helps you.

Mike