White Noise Sound Machine

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jardanecastles

White Noise Sound Machine

Post by jardanecastles »

I have been sleeping through the night since I started using a white noise sound machine. I play it on medium/high volume. Before using this machine, I would wake up and have to get out of bed between 3-5 times per night. I highly recommend this solution to ease RLS symptoms.

ViewsAskew

Re: White Noise Sound Machine

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have a friend who loves his, too.

I have one and highly recommend it if you're sensitive to sounds - my husband snores and I live in the city on a relatively traveled street. I can't say that it solves my WED/RLS symptoms, as I still awaken from WED symptoms. For all I know it may help more than I think and I wake up less than I would, though.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Wonder if this is a nuisance to another person when sharing a room. ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I suppose it might be irritating to certain people. It's just like having a generator running in camp...

I don't use mine all the time but it's almost essential for sleeping without a sleeping pill (eg. afternoon naps). I think that hyper-alertness is a symptom of WED, as important as the urge to move and the circadian pattern. But I am not sure if everyone gets the hyper-alertness. At any rate, if you do get it, you'll probably have that light sleep and sensitivity to sounds as a consequence. The machine does help mask noises, and I probably get a better sleep when I use it - excepting nighttime when I take a sleeping pill, which trumps the machine.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My husband thought that he might find white noise to be irritating.
When I mentioned to my son about a 'white noise machine' he suggested I get a white noise app for my Kindle, for free.
I did this,the one I chose has about 35 options. White noise.... plus a slight overlay of the sound of your choice i.e. rainfall, pan pipes, river, ocean, birds.
I keep it just at my pillow with the sound quite low. Hubby said he barely noticed it and I found it quite pleasant.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation