Venus Insufficiency cause of RLS?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
badnights

Re: Venus Insufficiency cause of RLS?

Post by badnights »

I never had any grogginess from the opioid meds. Just from pramipexole. I've had codeine, oxycodone, and hydromorph contin. But boy oh boy, if this could be fixed with a simple operation.... Let me know if the compression stockings help. I wore them all night for a few weeks, and it was comforting more often than not, but did not do enough to be worth the trouble.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Aaaaggghhhh !!
Just to show how different we all are, the very thought of compression stockings makes my skin creep, I cannot bear the very idea. Even ordinary tights drive me crazy and I only wear them if essential - think weddings and funerals.
Exellent that they benefit some folks :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Dr Farhy

Post by Dr Farhy »

RLS is a frequent feature of patients with varicose veins and venous reflux. Few years ago a group of researchers in Texas study that eliminating the venous reflux with endovenous laser ablation of the great saphenous vein reduces or eliminates RLS. In my practice I have treated more than 150 patients in the last 3 years. These patients had moderate-severe RLS. They DID NOT show varicose veins but their Doppler studies showed clear venous reflux. Of those patients 140 had a favorable response. One hundred and four of them completely eliminated the symptoms, 36 found that they use half of the number of medications for RLS that were using before. Ten patients did not change their symptoms. There were NO complications. Dr Farhy, www.heartandveincenter.com

badnights

Post by badnights »

Dr Farhy have you published this? we would love to see the relevant literature. I came across a publication a while ago, describing something similar to what you describe, but I can't re-locate it. Might it might have been by your group?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Update:

I tried wearing prescription compression stockings all day for a couple of months this winter, with no improvement in RLS symptoms.
I also spent a full day in bed with no activity with no improvement in RLS symptoms. (To see if oedema was causing my RLS symptoms).
I am currently trying a prescription mediation called pentoxifylline 400 MG twice day. This med is supposed to increase the "slipperyness" of the blood, allowing for better circulation. Today is day 14, with no improvement.
Next week I go back to my vein doctor, to discuss whether we should try endovenous laser ablation to treat my RLS symptoms. At this point, I don't know if it's worth having the surgery or not.
I wish you all the best!

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

I'm pretty sure that the Texas study Dr. Farhy is reffering to is the same one I've been using to guide me through the venous insufficiency issue. Here's link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18467618

It's not recent, unfortunately- 2008.

Dr. Farhy, can you give any general pros and cons or general guidelines on how one should decide to try this surgery or not? I don't have any vein-related symptoms at all, so the surgery for me would be purely a gamble to see if it helps my RLS. Thanks!

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

I have had RLS for over 15 years and five years ago, I had the long vein removed in my right leg due to a diagnosis of reflux in that leg. The reflux was due to bad check valves in that vein. After the operation, my RLS went away in that leg but came back to a minor degree within a few years. My severe RLS continues in my left leg. Circulation must have a lot to do with RLS.