Newly Approved Device - available in US

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Stainless

Re: Newly Approved Device - available in US

Post by Stainless »

Walking through a mall with my rls screaming, I sat in a massage chair and the rls stopped. I ended up buying one, enjoyed it for many years, but it worked great but did little for my rls. Like so much more that works for my rls, I think it was the distraction.

ratfancy

Post by ratfancy »

In a way "restless legs syndrome" does not really capture the syndrome. I have RLS in my arms as well. So focusing on one body part seems not to be an answer. Shall I wrap all limbs in a vibrating pad? And what about when this occurs during the day, carry my device with me? Don't know...

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is why many of us preferred when the Foundation temporarily changed its name to Willis Ekbom Disease Foundation. WED is still an accurate name, so by all means, call it that!

A lot of us hear have it in our arms - mine is occasional, but others have it daily. I find the arms more annoying than legs - can't walk on them! No idea of using a vibrating pad would work...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I also have daily symptoms in my arms as well as legs. Strange thing is that waving (moving) my arms about while seated doesn't work. It still takes me to get up and walk about to ease my arms :shock:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Yes, that is exactly the same for me PB.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I found that when I tried foam rolling to relieve rls in my legs it had the effect of transferring symptoms to my trunk and arms - almost as if the symptoms were pushed out of the legs by the foam roller and into other parts of the body - a bit like toothpaste in a tube when you squeeze it with the top still on. I would love to try the relaxis pad but would fear that even if it worked for my legs it would only transfer symptoms elsewhere in the same way.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hmmm funny, I don't get that transference, in fact the opposite. I can use a roller on one leg, or stretch or tense one leg, and both legs are relieved. Only when its not bad, though.

When it's bad but not too bad, and I do squats or lunges, then my arms kind of get still too. But when it's bad bad, I need to hold dumbells while doing the leg work, or even do pushups.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Do you mean that you need to use dumbells/push-ups - during 'bad bad' - for temporary relief of symptoms - I mean just while you are doing the exercise - or does it have a more lasting effect?

My foam rolling experience only occurred once - I never used the foam roller again while I had symptoms in my legs because I find it worse when it is in the torso and didn't want a repeat experience. Maybe it was a coincidence. Fortunately at the moment I am having a great spell of no symptoms so can't carry out a repeat experiment - long may it last!

badnights

Post by badnights »

It has a more lasting effect - long enough to get me back to sleep. At least, that's what I hope for. The worse the symptoms, the less likely that will happen, but it does happen often enough that I always try.

And yes: Long may it last!
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Just in case it doesn't last - I will bear your practice in mind - it ties in with another post about intensive exercise as a means of managing symptoms.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

It's 3.30am and I've just done 5 sun salutations and downward dogs to relieve my calf pain. I've been awake with my husband who is in severe pain due to a growing tumor on his rib. Chemo has not worked, radiation benefit lasted less than a month. I will survive my RLS, he won't survive his cancer. I think he is asleep now so I'll go back to bed too. Nights are bad for both of us.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Yankiwi, so sorry to hear about your husband's current status. Life is difficult enough when one person has a chronic condition and the problems more than double when both partners have them. And then to know that your partner's life expectancy is less than yours just seems to make things that much more unfair. I truly sympathize with your situation. I have had years to adjust to the fact I will most likely outlive my wife, but then again we both hope to have a few more good years before we get to where we are in your position. :(
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yankiwi - I'm sorry to hear of your husband's ill health and wish both of you the best that it can be.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

{{{yankiwi}}} my heart is with you both

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Thanks for the kind comments and support regarding my husband. We made the move from our second floor bedroom to the first floor yesterday. Climbing stairs, even with two railings, was too dicey. Not good as the exercise was important but a fall would have been devastating. 3:20am now in NZ.