Using the CP Relief Wand for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Phillips2768

Using the CP Relief Wand for RLS

Post by Phillips2768 »

Apparently no one has posted anything about this treatment method for RLS. It works so well that I should share this with fellow RLS sufferers. My RLS symptoms have worsened over the years and are severe. I recently discovered how to use the CP Relief Wand for my RLS. It works great and I sleep well all night, every night.

Over 20 years, my RLS symptoms have worsened and RLS drugs make me sick. At first, remedies like tonic water, dietary supplements, and mild exercise before bedtime, certain lotions, hot baths, and massage worked well. The awful creepy crawling feeling, leg jerking, and pain-itch of RLS was easily managed.
Over the years my RLS grew worse and my physicians ran out of non-drug ideas. I began to focus on the RLS symptom areas and what to do. These symptom areas were stationary but at times certain areas became more active than others. I was able to get sleep by doing toe-heel push-ups and deep knee bends before bedtime. I was also able to use a powerful motorized barber shop vibrator with the hand pad pressed firmly against each RLS nerve center. Sometimes I would find relief by applying intense pressure or hitting the leg jerking trigger nerves which left bruises. Often I would exercise at all hours of the night.

Recently I discovered how to use the CP Relief Wand for RLS. It is intended for general pain relief but works extremely well for my RLS. I press the Wand against each active RLS trigger nerve before going to sleep. It deadens each nerve in less than a minute. It is without a doubt the best remedy that I have come across. There are no side effects. I use it every night and I sleep perfectly well all night, every night. When using the Wand I moisten the skin but I don’t use the gel pads. Instructions for using the CP Relief Wand for RLS can be found by web searching “How to use the CP Relief Wand”.

ViewsAskew

Re: Using the CP Relief Wand for RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

Please tell us more about what you mean by "trigger nerve." I don't have anything like that, that I know of. My sensations are diffuse and throughout the whole area - whether arm or thigh, in my case.

Right now, I'm having what I call pre-WED. It is a diffuse feeling of anxiety and an acute awareness of my muscles. But, no symptoms yet. Shortly, if I don't get up and move, I'll need to move because the sensations will start. Mine are electrical and build up in the muscle, starting with an awareness that turns into an urge to move accompanied by an unpleasant sensation. To my knowledge, it's not in one place, though. It's all over.

How do you identify your trigger nerves?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

Re: Trigger Nerve
I call it that because it is the nerve that triggers the "muscle jerk". I have RLS in my legs. Same as you, first I get the "diffuse feeling of anxiety" in the muscles which builds up gradually to a peak and the muscle jerks. Just before and as the muscle jerks, there is a twitch at or very near the site of the jerk. The nerve/muscle that twitches just as the jerk starts is what I call the trigger nerve. Before I used the Wand, I could find the trigger nerve by pressing around the symptom area with my finger. The "trigger nerve" is sensitive to pressure. With the Wand, I can easily find the trigger nerve by moving it around while energized. When it is directly over the trigger nerve, I feel a sting (or a feeling like scratching an itch). Only active trigger nerves will react that way. So I now use the Wand to find them and deaden them before I go to sleep. Since they don't move, it gets easy with a little practice. After the trigger nerve is deadened with the Wand, the "diffuse feeling of anxiety" is totally eliminated until the trigger nerve deadening wears off in about 8 - 20 hours. I figure that the trigger nerves are the same nerves that you and I were hitting with our fist.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do not have that. There is no twitch. I move because it's so uncomfortable.

I do sometimes have PLMW - periodic limb movement during wakefulness - then my leg jerks every 20-30 seconds. But with WED, I have no jerk. If I tried to keep it still, I would move my leg, but it's more of a subconscious movement, as if my body is saying, "Hey, if you are not going to move, I am!"

I don't hit a specific spot with my fist - I beat anywhere and move around a lot - with karate-like chops all over the tops and sides of my thighs. I'm doing it now in between typing, lol.

This surely is a fascinating disease.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

LOL. Crazy disease. I am sure there are different manifestations of the same disease. Your system is different than mine but I am certain that you will find a pesky nerve somewhere under the skin that is causing all that grief. That is why the karate chop works. The CP Relief Wand would replace the karate chop and do the same thing (without the bruises). :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Phillips2768 wrote:LOL. Crazy disease. I am sure there are different manifestations of the same disease. Your system is different than mine but I am certain that you will find a pesky nerve somewhere under the skin that is causing all that grief. That is why the karate chop works. The CP Relief Wand would replace the karate chop and do the same thing (without the bruises). :)

I noted in the other thread that I don't hit the same spot. I move back and forth across the quad muscle - more like a massage. I have hit them with my fist, too, but, again, it's a rapid and alternating percussive massage. I've also massaged in detail because I have myofascial trigger points throughout many muscles - head, shoulders,arms, hips/buttocks, and thighs. They are small knots in the muscle fiber. When you press one, you know it - it hurts a LOT. Because I do a lot of muscle work to relieve these, I'm relatively familiar with the muscles in my legs. I've never found anything similar to what you describe.

Very glad you found something that works for you - I hope it continues to work for a long time. Hopefully others will read it and find similarities and respond to your treatment, too.

Managing Your RLS

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

"Very glad you found something that works for you - I hope it continues to work for a long time."

Thank you. It sounds like you understand your situation very well and it is similar but different than mine. Most people would not go as far as we have in trying to understand this. I would only note that the points that you find that seriously hurt are very similar to mine. If you could apply pressure to one of these points that is located near the anxiety area, it may seriously hurt, but if the pressure can be tolerated for a little while, this spot may not display RLS symptoms for some time. In doing that, you may have a similar response as I have described. :)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Phillips2768 wrote:"Very glad you found something that works for you - I hope it continues to work for a long time."

Thank you. It sounds like you understand your situation very well and it is similar but different than mine. Most people would not go as far as we have in trying to understand this. I would only note that the points that you find that seriously hurt are very similar to mine. If you could apply pressure to one of these points that is located near the anxiety area, it may seriously hurt, but if the pressure can be tolerated for a little while, this spot may not display RLS symptoms for some time. In doing that, you may have a similar response as I have described. :)

I suppose I've already done that. Unfortunately, I still have WED symptoms. I have trigger point issues daily - just depends on which body part is the worst at that time. I haven't found that working on them helps the WED in any way. I've developed a latent trigger point in my quads - latent meaning that it hurts when pressed, but that it doesn't cause direct pain (it may cause referred pain). I've worked on them when the hip/buttock points were active and sending shooting pain down my quad and into my calf, thinking that maybe these latent ones were contributing to referred pain and by working on them, I'd reduce the pain. It could be that my WED is severe enough that this isn't enough, but I've found no effect on it when I've worked on these spots. I think they are likely trigger points and not anything else. I just massaged them - they are still there :-(.

Many of us here are VERY intimately aware of the subtleties of our disease. Since so little is known about it, if you want any degree of control, you almost have to figure things out for yourself.

Interestingly (to me, at any rate), I find that hard, severe stretches seem to help mild symptoms more than massage or even walking. I get into contorted positions and stretch my feet, toes, heel, calves, and hamstring. I hold the position in a way that is hurts (in a good way) and I can feel the anxiety reduce. Not a CLUE why. But, I don't argue with anything that can allow me to get back to sleep for awhile. When the WED is stronger, this doesn't help at all - the only thing that helps is being up, moving, and getting alert as quickly as I can.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Stretches don't do it for me at all, it has to be up on my feet and get walking. Strangely, walking 'on the spot' doesn't work, I have to actually be covering ground !
Perhaps the stretches don't work well for me because I can't hold them in position for any great length of time - it gives too much pain in the pelvic/hip area, thanks to osteoarthritis.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

@ViewsAskew

I understand what you mean and thank you for your views. The symptoms of RLS that are felt are elusive. You might try applying some spot pressure with the finger to determine if a certain nerve trigger point is the source of the symptom. If applying significant pressure to the trigger point for a few moments (if you can tolerate the pain) relieves some or all the symptoms from that spot, you will know that the trigger point is the source. The anxiety feeling with me is always generated from a single trigger point (or larger diameter) nerve source. When I deal with that particular trigger point, the muscle anxiety or other symptoms disappear. Spot pressure, mechanical vibration, electrical stimulation, massage, or exercise that reaches the trigger point all deal with the problem in varying degrees for me. The best I have found is electrical stimulation but it needs to be directed directly through the trigger point to work quickly. TENS pads applied to the legs are a hit and miss situation since the current goes where ever it wants and may miss the particular trigger point. Or if only a small current reaches the trigger point, it may take hours.

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

@Polar Bear

I sympathize with your situation with the arthritis. It may be possible for you to zero in on the trigger points as the source of the symptoms and reduce or eliminate your symptoms without exercise. I fully understand that there can be a point where nothing will work due to age and disease and I can fully appreciate that. I hope that I can keep going with what I have for a long time but I know that my symptoms will get worse as time goes on. If you can somehow familiarize yourself with the trigger points as I have described to ViewsAskew above, it may help lead you to finding something other than drugs to help your situation.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you for your information, and may it continue to provide you with successful relief. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sleepdancer2

Post by sleepdancer2 »

@Phillips2768 Regarding the use of TENS, I was unable to get any relief using the electrodes on my legs. That made my RLS scream at me. However, once I started placing the electrodes on my lower back as when prescribed for low back pain, I found it calmed my legs from PLMD a great deal. It creates interference in the signals between the brain and the legs. In recent times I'm noticing that older electrodes are not giving the same relief as fresher ones. I was trying to make them last, even taping them on after the stickiness was gone, but have resigned myself to this being a more frequent medical expense, a necessity. Also found when I place the electrodes at or above the "dimples" of the buttocks the effect isn't as good. I haven't found Nirvana but my worst night now is still better than my best night in the times before TENS.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Phillips2768

Post by Phillips2768 »

@sleepdancer2
I have tried TENS with stick-on electrodes and it does not work for me either on the my legs. The current apparently does not penetrate well. TENS electrodes are very unpredictable but if it works well for you on the lower back keep on doing that. The stick-on electrodes normally can be used over until the glue is worn out. To save expense, you might try moistening the skin and/or electrode and tape on the electrode since the electrode glue is water soluble. The electrodes need to be secure against the skin and be moist.

The CP Relief Wand is pressed down to compress the RLS nerve and penetrates deep where the RLS nerves are located. It is 100% predictable for me. Sometimes for the worst RLS nerves I need to press hard to reach the deep RLS nerves. I use the CP Relief Wand without the gel pads. I moisten the skin before use. This saves on expense.