snake oil

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
peanut1

snake oil

Post by peanut1 »

My sleep neuro told me one of his clients cured his severe WED with a high dosage of snake oil. The client had a moraphine drip and put snake oil in it. He got very sick and went to the ER. But no WED--it was gone!!

ViewsAskew

Re: snake oil

Post by ViewsAskew »

What is snake oil????? I truly have no clue!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think Snake Oil is a supplement believed to help with various condition,
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

doety

Post by doety »

Snake oil is something you fool people with. Comes from the wild west, when a guy with a mustache and funny hat, driving a covered wagon, comes into town and starts selling "medicine" to cure "what ails you." It's usually all alcohol.
I think Peanut is trying to be funny. For sure, you can put almost anything with morphine and i think it could reduce our symptoms (I've seen this mentioned on other posts -- and it scares me....I think morphine is so strong.)

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

I got this information from a highly respected sleep neurologist. I have not tried it and probably will not, but apparently this helped my doctor's client immensely. Prior to the snake oil his client was taking high doses of moraphine. HOWEVER, when I looked up snake oil it does state that it's from fraudulent practices. I then asked the neurologist where his client got the snake oil and he didn't know. This is quite frustrating because there may be something out there we can utilize OR the client was fooling the doctor which I find difficult to believe. I'll see what I can find out.

PS and I wasn't trying to be funny BTW

mh380

Post by mh380 »

Maybe the patient was making a joke, or the doctor misunderstood another doctor who was making a joke about one of her patients. Regardless, I think this is the result of a bad game of telephone, since "snake oil" is a synonym for a placebo sold by a huckster.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Makes me wonder if somewhere along the line in the telephone game, the phrase was snake venom, not snake oil. Botox (Botulinum toxin) has been mentioned as a possible WED/RLS treatment - for example, by Walters in a presentation once, and by a few people here, and at least one person here tried it (search botox).

I wouldn't be surprised if snake venom had therapeutic properties. Although I doubt if any neurologist would put it in an IV. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... icine/9860
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights, that is the same thought I had.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

I was chuckling at the possible miscommunication, but thank you for the link, Beth (badnights)!