Vibrasizer for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Ramunas

Vibrasizer for RLS

Post by Ramunas »

Has anyone tried a whole body vibration machine for RLS (also known as vibrasizer).
The sellers of this machine claim that it helps RLS sufferers.
These machines are not that cheap, so I'm not about to spend all that money now knowing if it will indeed work.
There is only one health club in this town (Prescott, AZ) that has this machine, but to use it I would have to join for a year, and pay extra for the use of the machine, which would bring the cost above the cost of buying the machine outright.

Polar Bear

Re: Vibrasizer for RLS

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't heard of these vibrasizers.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

When they say that it helps RLS do they mean while it is turned on or that it also helps afterwards? I don't have the machine but I do have an old hand vibrator that barbers used on shoulders. I purchased it for my wife's and my aches and pains and it does work for that, and mostly while the machine is running. I could see where a full body vibrator would make RLS feel good because it is essentially moving every part of the body at the same time, but once it is turned off I doubt it would help at all.

We had a hot tub at our last place and it relieved my RLS while I was in it but just as soon as I got out it would come back, probably about the same thing. We plan on getting a hot tub again one of these days when we can afford it because it gave me a mini-vacation from miserable nights when I had to pace all night. If the machine would do that for you it might be worth it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wonder if the health club would allow you a "trial" pass. Many do. Then you'd just have to pay to use the machine.

I have never used one. There is some evidence that this type of machine may help some people. My guess is that it's related to severity of symptoms. People with milder symptoms may get more relief - those who have more severe symptoms (lasting longer - such as for hours) may only get relief during use. The other factor is the type of WED/RLS you have - while there is no scientific differentiation, many of us here respond differently and fit into "types" for lack of a better word. My guess is that it works much better for some than for others. Which type it would work for, though, I do not know.

I have a percussive massager - it has never helped my RLS/WED symptoms, unfortunately. My type seems to be primarily electrical, heavily sensation based, with lots of sleeping and waking limb movements. For me, things such as this tend to make my symptoms worse, not better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Ramunas

Post by Ramunas »

Thanks for your inputs. I tried to get a "trial pass" at the one health club that has the maqchine. They won't do it.
Although I've tried hand held massagers, as you say, they work while in use only.
A vibrasizer works on the whole body, so maybe it would/could be more beneficial...

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That stinks! I can't imagine why they will not - most people want to try a gym before they join (at least I know I do!).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Did you ask to speak with the manger or owner of the gym? Sometimes the people at the front are very rule-bound and don't know when to call the manager to deal with exceptions.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

EeFall

Post by EeFall »

ViewsAskew wrote:That stinks! I can't imagine why they will not - most people want to try a gym before they join (at least I know I do!).

When my wife and I had just gotten married at 18 and 19 years old we went into one of the gyms because it said there was a 2 week free trial and they took each of us into different rooms with high pressure salesmen and got us to sign up for gym packages costing thousands of dollars! We were still in college and had zero money. I went to an old high school teacher we had that became a lawyer and he got the state attorney general after them and they tore up our contracts. 40 years latter I don't think they have changed much, at least some of them.