Sequential Compression Devices for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
badnights

Re: Sequential Compression Devices for RLS

Post by badnights »

pj - that one is a TENS device too - it uses electrical stimulation. The compression devices squeeze you. This is an example of a compression device:
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004NETAQE/r ... ZOC713GSJD and this is another one:
http://smile.amazon.com/Nitring-M02-011 ... DBA6KZCKBF.
There are quite a few different kinds on amazon, but check the Q&A sections - some suffer from poor quality (parts breaking easily) and/or poor customer service. Others are plain confusing the way they're cataloged by amazon - eg. they say size L in the title and XL in the description, or they refer to a half-leg size but there is nowhere to order that, only the full-leg size. Some give sequential compression - they start squeezing at the bottom and work their way up; some have an auto-shut-off after 15 or 30 minutes with no option to let it go longer; some allow programming of the sequence of compression up your leg or of the pressure; etc. I really think for these things it would be essential to be on-site trying them out or to ask a lot of questions of the manufacturer over the phone.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Post by badnights »

victoria - - I replied in the other thread
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

veldon75

Post by veldon75 »

I work at a Vascular clinic where patients have varicose veins, the Drs. tell the patients not to wear their compression stockings to bed, I 'm not sure why, maybe it affects the blood flow when lying down, I have some, I will ask about it.

Raymond21

Post by Raymond21 »

I feel like a TENS unit works for me. It generates electric pulse to stimulate my muscle and nerve system around the area in pain. Pain level is minimized after using it daily for a couple of month. I got my from healthmateforever, It's very affordable and working fairly well. Here is the link: www.healthmateforever.com.