Topical Magnesium

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
tinker13

Topical Magnesium

Post by tinker13 »

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum here but I wanted to take a moment and share my experiences, and what I've found to be my ‘cure’ finally after years of torture.. I’ve been suffering from RLS for almost 10 years, and being only 17 years old when it started, nobody had any idea what was wrong with me. I was the only one of my friends or family with this problem, and even my doctors couldn't identify it. I did online research for years on my own and finally found that my symptoms matched perfectly to RLS. I feel the pain and itchy spasms in my legs, lower back, upper back and arms to the point where I've had to call in sick to work more than I can count from being unable to sleep at night. I tried all the usual home remedies, yoga, hot baths, stretching, cardio late in the evening, magnesium, iron.. a plethora of supplements and meds .. I read so many studies online that linked RLS to (possibly) magnesium deficiency, but the supplements did nothing for me other than irritate my stomach. I finally came across topical magnesium a couple months ago, and figured it couldn’t hurt to try. Specifically, Magnesium Chloride Liquid (only cost about $20). You dilute it in a spray bottle and spray the liquid on any affected areas, or so the bottle says “for sore muscles”. To my surprise, I cannot believe it actually worked. It stops the spasms instantly if it spray it on when it’s happening, and I've now taken to applying it every night before bed as a precaution. While I do still wake up with symptoms now and then in the middle of the night, letting the magnesium soak in for a couple minutes does the trick every time. I understand my experiences might be more mild that others from what I’ve been reading here, but for me, this is my little miracle and I just wanted to take a moment to share my experiences and hope I might be able to help some of you!

Regards
- J

Polar Bear

Re: Topical Magnesium

Post by Polar Bear »

There have been posts here on the discussion board where sufferers have felt the benefit of a bath using Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate).
If you search for 'epsom salts' you should find these.

I haven't heard before of anyone using it in a spray form, what dilution ratio do you use?
A little search on google indicated that in a bath the ratio of 2 cups to 15 gallons was suitable.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation