Massages & unusual sensation

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Ak4482

Massages & unusual sensation

Post by Ak4482 »

Hi, I was diagnosed with RLS about 4 years ago, I've tried pramipexole with mixed reviews. One thing I try is to every so often get a massage. The last couple of times I've gotten a massage, I've noticed a very tingly, creepy sensation in my legs after they have been massaged. Does anyone ever have this experience and should I be worried about it?

ViewsAskew

Re: Massages & unusual sensation

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Ak4482.

I can't say I've had that happen. I don't get massages that often, however. Not sure if that is common to another condition or if other WED/RLSers have noticed. Hopefully someone else might have some insight.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't often have a massage but have not experienced the tingling that you describe.

What does come to mind - could there be a little nerve area that gets temporarily irritated during your massage.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sounds like WED/RLS, as if you are getting WED/RLS sensations from the massage. Are they similar to your usual WED sensations?

Have your last couple of massages been later in the day than the others?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Ak4482

Post by Ak4482 »

The most recent visit was a midday visit & I asked my massage therapist to lighten the pressure, which helped. The prior time was in the early evening after being on my feet all day at work. My body felt sore & the normal pressure caused this sensation. I get it when I'm rubbing my feet at night when they're sore.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm not sure what to think. Avoid evening massages, for sure.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.