Success washing legs with Lye Soap

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
BRIGHTBELT

Success washing legs with Lye Soap

Post by BRIGHTBELT »

Hi,
I am new here but have had an advanced case of RLS for several years now. I have recently found more consistent relief. It's NOT perfect but it is getting better results for me.
I take B6 in the morning and 2 aspirin. After lunch I take Magnesium with Citrate and I take magnesium again after dinner. Before bed, I take MIrapex (prescribed drug of course).

Here's the new part, at least for me. At some point, when I shower or bathe for the day, I wash my legs thoroughly (feet and buttocks as well) with Grandma's Lye Soap brand. My local Ace Hardware carries this regularly. I can actually feel RLS disappearing when I do this.

The bathing method might be preferable, since a hot bath has in itself been a remedy for me. So when combined, it has been almost bullet proof.

Another remedy which I hadn't heard of -maybe it's old hat here - is rubbing your legs with Red Wine Vinegar.
It is the only topical substance I've found that really kills RLS symptoms on contact.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks!

ViewsAskew

Re: Success washing legs with Lye Soap

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wonder if you rubbed your legs without any soap if the same result would happen. Massage is associated with a reduction of symptoms.

Happy it's helping, whatever is working.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Success washing legs with Lye Soap

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, the massage action is the first thing I thought of.
However, what works ... works... long may it last.
Please do keep us updated regularly to let us know how you get on with this.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation