Vipassana Meditation

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Act

Vipassana Meditation

Post by Act »

Has anyone ever been taught or tried to do long sit (an hour or more) meditations, specifically the original Vipassana technique? I have signed up for one in the fall and am curious to see if anyone else has experience with this.

Yankiwi

Re: Vipassana Meditation

Post by Yankiwi »

I do a 20 minute yoga practice at home six days a week but for about five years I attended power yoga classes at least four days a week. My teachers had done the long Vipassana Meditation course and just the thought of it made my legs restless. In savasana when everyone else was in repose my legs would be fidgeting something terrible. I don't think Vipassana Meditation is really for those of us with RLS. It would be absolute torture for me.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not since my symptoms were 24/7. When they were mild, I meditated daily - usually 30 minutes - and I was fine. I had to stop when the symptoms increased - I couldn't manage even five minutes. I tried again after things were more under control - I actually was OK with symptoms if my meds were working...but I was so tired from the lack of sleep and/or the medication side effects that I'd just fall to sleep. I find that more active forms of mindfulness work better for me.

I'd guess it depends on the control of your symptoms, the degree of them, and when you plan on meditating. If you have mild symptoms, you might be fine, especially if you meditate earlier in the day. Evenings likely could be an issue. If you are using medication that controls symptoms, you also might be OK, especially if you meditate when medicated or, again, early in the day when symptoms are usually least. If your symptoms are not covered now, however, I'd guess it would be very hard.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Vipassana isn't just meditation. It is for many hours, sitting perfectly still, sometimes all day and some retreats are for many days.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Standing Qi Gong (Standing Chi Kung) might allow the same benefits while suiting WED patients better. Standing postures are held for long periods of time. (There's more to it than that. I'm only passingly familiar with it but it interests me.)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.