The itch cure that works for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
loisjones

The itch cure that works for me

Postby loisjones » Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 pm

What works for me... I deliberately create an itch or tickly feeling somewhere nearby, e.g. further up the thigh, by brushing my fingers against it lightly. (I immediately scratch this itch, so you're not just moving the problem to a different part of the body). I find this immediately relieves the RLS feeling further down the leg. Sometimes the muscles of my thigh continue to feel a bit tight, but repeating the action above in a couple of different areas relieves that.

badnights

Re: The itch cure that works for me

Postby badnights » Tue May 10, 2016 8:25 am

That's a pretty cool trick. I have done similar things but it only works if the symptoms are not too bad. Still, it's good advice, and completely in line with pain theories that suggest that if you fill up the signalling pathways with other sensations, you can no longer feel the WED/RLS sensations.
Beth - Wishing you all restful sleep tonight
WED/RLS AUGMENTATION:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6532&p=61601#p61601
Discussion Board Moderator's posts don't reflect the RLS Foundation's opinion & are not medical advice

sleepdancer2

Re: The itch cure that works for me

Postby sleepdancer2 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:51 am

Creative problem solving. Love it! It's the same principle that makes using a TENS Unit work for me.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c

Return to “Physical Treatments”