The itch cure that works for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
loisjones

The itch cure that works for me

Post by loisjones »

What works for me... I deliberately create an itch or tickly feeling somewhere nearby, e.g. further up the thigh, by brushing my fingers against it lightly. (I immediately scratch this itch, so you're not just moving the problem to a different part of the body). I find this immediately relieves the RLS feeling further down the leg. Sometimes the muscles of my thigh continue to feel a bit tight, but repeating the action above in a couple of different areas relieves that.

badnights

Re: The itch cure that works for me

Post by badnights »

That's a pretty cool trick. I have done similar things but it only works if the symptoms are not too bad. Still, it's good advice, and completely in line with pain theories that suggest that if you fill up the signalling pathways with other sensations, you can no longer feel the WED/RLS sensations.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

sleepdancer2

Re: The itch cure that works for me

Post by sleepdancer2 »

Creative problem solving. Love it! It's the same principle that makes using a TENS Unit work for me.
My Augmentation Sleep Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7WA_5c73c