Restiffic and Relaxis Information

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
badnights

Re: Restiffic and Relaxis Information

Post by badnights »

Well, that's interesting. That's the first positive (sort of) feedback about Restiffic. I have to wonder if they would be worth my trying, since only at certain times would they potentially provide a benefit (based on your experience).

One thing at a time. I have enquired about how to get hold of a Relaxis pad.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

SLEEPY ANGEL

Post by SLEEPY ANGEL »

Hello--- I am brand new to the Discussion Board, joined yesterday. Listened to Webinar by Dr John Winkelman yesterday and believe he mentioned that the Relaxis item was not all that helpful to people. But I know we are all different, so it may be helpful to some. BOTH Relaxis and Restiffic some too expensive for me... Currently I take Ropinirole @ 1 mg per night (breaking it into saller amounts starting at 6 PM, and Gabapentin @ 200 mg/night. I'm sensing augmentation and may have to increase doses, Don't know. Definitely cannot nap in mid-afternoon. Once in a while I use a foot massager that sits on the floor (angled towards me a bit) and it can help enough to get back to sleep. I will submit this post but am VERY much an UN-savvy computer person, so I don't even know if I'll figure out how to reply to anyone who replies to this!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

SLEEPY ANGEL - Welcome. I imagine that people would like to hear positive comments and reviews on the Relaxis or Restiffic before laying out their hard earned cash. Perhaps a 'week free trial' might appeal.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

SLEEPY ANGEL, welcome to the board.

Although I agree that the price of the two devices is significant, it might help to keep the fact that this is a one time purchase in mind. When I was on the Neupro patch, my monthly insurance co-pay was $100. So I was paying $300 each quarter for the medicine and used the patches for over a year. Yes, the cost of generics for pramipexole, ropinirole, gabapentin and the opiates are all well below that. But sometimes we don't think about our ongoing, monthy expense for meds when comparing it to the one time cost of the devices. However, I also agree that something like a one month trial or a money back guarantee would be extremely helpful.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sleepy Angel - Welcome! So glad you found your way here and that you posted successfully! I am sure this is the first of many.

Steve, valid point on the expense...it could work for years. But, it is hard to decide to outlay hundreds of dollars (or whatever your unit of money is) for something that may not work and then you are stuck with. I'd love it if doctors had a couple in their office and you could check one out for two weeks and try it. If it works, buy one. If not, you tried but aren't stuck and you return it to the doctor's office.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SLEEPY ANGEL

Post by SLEEPY ANGEL »

What a magnificent idea! Wouldn't it be great if doctors had a few "devices" available for trial, and we could check them out like books from a Library. Return them if they aren't great; put an order in, to buy IF THEY WERE GREAT. That's thinking out of the box, and I love it. Think I'll browse other forums.... Have a good night everyone.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think Dr Rye used to send people home - for a week - with a medical device that captured leg movements. He didn't care about a sleep study (unless apnea was indicated); he wanted leg movements. He felt that 1 day wasn't enough - hence the week. He bought a used device for himself ($500-800 used, IIRC, and only medical folks could get them). This was years ago. I was always envious - I wanted one of those devices! Or a doctor who would send it home with me for a week!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Dr Rye sounds like the Dr we'd all want to see :)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

PB, in many ways Dr Rye is the doctor that all of us dream about. He is an RLS researcher who sees patients and most importantly, he has RLS himself.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I want to hug Dr Rye - :clap:
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The first RLS conference - they haven't had one in years - was where I first me Dr Rye, Dr B, Dr Earley, and so on - I don't think Lee was there, nor Silber, but most of the names we know from here and research were. All of them were smart. And all dedicated. All shared information that was like magic to me (I'd just learned what augmentation was and was like a sponge). But, Dr Rye stood out. For some reason - I think we were both pacing in the hallway together - we ended up talking by ourselves for awhile. He was just SO down to earth, so personable, so average joe yet who could communicate BIG ideas in an easy way, and made you feel like he was just one of the gang. Having RLS indeed makes him one of gang, but I imagine some doctors I've met would never be part of my gang, lol.

Managing Your RLS

sandy9356

Post by sandy9356 »

I am new to the forum and in the few days that I have been here, I have received an overwhelming amount of support. I can't believe that I have lived for 65 years without this support group. That being said, I am in a serious state of augmentation. The day prior to joining I ordered the Relaxis and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. There is a 30 day trial period with a complete money back guarantee (minus $27.00 shipping) I added up my costs of medications and decided that the money was worth it if I can truly reduce the number of prescriptions I am taking. The customer service has been wonderful. They will sell you a refurbished item that was used at a medical show for $100 less than the actual price. I will continue to post my progress once the Relaxis arrives.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

sandy - thank you for this, we are always keen to hear what has or has not worked.
Betty

yawny

Post by yawny »

sandy9356,
Thanks for the feedback and glad you're here...I know many of us are super curious about the Relaxis Pad and look forward to hearing your experience with it!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

sandy9356 - one ask of you...if it does not help you now, it may eventually. When someone is augmented, about the ONLY thing to help is either a miserable 10-20 day detox with NO drugs or opioids. That's unfortunately about it.

Managing Your RLS