Acupuncture

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Traci

Acupuncture

Post by Traci »

Has anyone tried acupuncture to treat RLS? If so, has it helped? My husband is coming home from Afghanistan in a couple of weeks, & we want very much to have a baby so I need to get off my meds ASAP. The problem is I am so severly affected by RLS that I am terrified to stop taking mirapex (among others). I was pregnant last summer and ended up with an ectopic pregnancy (didn't know I was pregnant and was taking mirapex). After much research, I am convinced the ectopic was most likely from the mirapex. So, I'm looking for alternative treatment.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you do a search on acupuncture, you'll find some prior discussions. I don't think there was ever a consensus. It didn't work for me, though. There are also several threads devoted to prenancy on teh Special Populations section, so, you read through that section.

You could also try looking at the links in this post: http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

The RLS Rebel site is listed- she has lot's of great ideas on handling RLS without drugs. There may be some other posts related to pregnancy, too.

Good luck - hope your hubby is home safe and sound soon.

Ann

Adrienne

Post by Adrienne »

I was on Mirapex and it seemed to work for the 2-3 mos. I was on it. I didn't want to take medication so I went to a chiropractor who 'adjusted' me and then sent me to an Acupunturist. I had no symptoms for 6 mos. It was fabulous. Now they are back. I have primary RLS which I assume isn't muscular, it's neurological?!? which is why non medicinal solutions haven't worked long term?!?!? I am now willing to try Mirapex again or Neurontin. Have you tried any other medications besides Mirapex?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Adrienne, between us, we've probably tried every medication there is! The problem is that each of us are different and no treatment works the same for all of us. This is a good thread to read: http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=994.

I, for example, can't take Mirapex, Requip, or other DAs because of the side effects. But other people have taken them for years without problems. I do strongly believe in drug holidays for people that take DAs, though. Basically you take a drug for either a specified amount of time (2-3 months) or until it seems to be working less effectively or you need more of it, then you take a different drug for 2 weeks. Then go back to the first drug at the lower dose. Really helps prevent problems but this is not standard practice so your doc may think you are crazy when you mention it.

Ann