Just found something that works for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
yawny

Re: Just found something that works for me

Post by yawny »

Welcome dcb,
do you think a massage pad laid on your office chair or car seat would work similar to the fancy pants bed? I'm considering getting one myself (a pad, not the bed although it sounds very helpful). Also, I noticed you've had RLS for at least 10 years and am wondering if you've only used clonazepam?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I bought a pad a few months ago thinking the same thing, yawny. Didn't work at all - made mine worse. When legsbestill wrote that the Relaxis needed to be turned DOWN a lot to work, I figured that was likely the issue. Most cheap pads vibrate at a high frequency. I have a relatively pricey sex vibrator that vibrates with a much lower rumbly frequency. If I put that between my legs, it actually helps. So my guess is that the way it vibrates matters, as does placement.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

For what it's worth, according to Carl (no comments, please, Yawny!) at Relaxis, it is not necessarily very important where the pad is placed. It is the counter-stimulation that is the important issue. I would endorse Ann's experience with the personal vibrator - in my experience the shape is not unimportant and one that simulates a phallic shape is less effective than something more flat.

yawny

Post by yawny »

LOL Legbestill...fair play!

Ann & Legsbestill,
Ok, got it...different vibration frequency is important. I'll take this information to the store with me and try not to blush & giggle as I explain it to the salesperson. Just to be clear, and in case my mom is reading this, I am looking for a massage pad for my legs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi, Mom!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I did post this elsewhere but just in case it got overwhelmed, the sensation of the Relaxis pad is quite similar to when you are on a large passenger ferry boat and can feel the engines throbbing. A sort-of low, deep 'thrumming' type vibration. Not buzzy or fast. It might be worth looking out for something that delivers a sensation similar to that - if possible.

SLEEPY ANGEL

Post by SLEEPY ANGEL »

For rustsmith---
Really too bad that you didn't get the massager in the trial you participated in; it would be hard for me to tell if something like that could be of help to you, but maybe there's a store near you where such things are sold... If you bought one, maybe you could return it if it was "useless to you"? Worth checking into. I was at a Convention with my husband and walking around I saw ALL SORTS of products for sale--- not even RELATED to the main Convention objective (IE aeronautics, seats for planes, insurance for crop dusters ETC ETC!!!)..... but I saw the massager and thought Hmmmm! Who knows, might be great, and it was. I tried it there and so that's why I suggest you might be able to try something similar in a store... Good luck!

SLEEPY ANGEL

Post by SLEEPY ANGEL »

For dcb---
First, WELCOME. I would love to have a bed that helps me the way yours does!!! But I guess I can't buy one now that I bought an ordinary bed/mattress and it's only 6 years old. I never thought of massage built right into the bed when I started looking for a new bed. Darn it! So glad you have that! We need whatever things we can find for comfort.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You are right about that, Sleepy Angel!

Managing Your RLS