Elastic support bandages

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jul2873

Elastic support bandages

Post by jul2873 »

A few weeks ago I ordered a roll of support bandages from Amazon. This is what it's called: Derma Sciences GLG10 SurgiGrip Tubular Elastic Support Bandage, Large Thighs, 4.5" Width, 11 yd Length.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is basically a long roll of fairly gentle elastic material that is made to hold knee or foot bandages in place. I cut strips that were the length of my calves and knees, and pulled them on. And they are helping. It is not the magic solution, but I do find I use a little less kratom when I'm wearing them, and best of all they are allowing me to sleep later in the morning. Previously, no matter what I did, by 8:30 at the latest I simply had to get up.

So sometimes they control the RLS and sometimes they don't. But they are cheap and comfortable to wear, so I don't see a downside. Plus the fabric is washable. And the roll is huge. It should last me a year at least. I ordered the large size, even though I'm fairly small, as I didn't want them to be too tight. Might be worth a try for some others.

badnights

Re: Elastic support bandages

Post by badnights »

Cool. I don't think it could apply pressure in all the right places for me - - I need my ankles to be addressed, and worse, my knees would freak if anything was behind them. I have tried elastic wraps, which sometimes help but sometimes are irritating, and always are a pain to put on and take off. How can you adjust the pressure or the tightness of the tube? Even though the tube is large size and you're not, they still exert enough pressure?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I can't adjust the pressure, Beth. It's a gentle pressure and it seems to work fine. And they are very easy to put on. I just pull them on like I would a sock. You can have them going over the ankles and knees or not, just depends on how long you cut the tubes. Anyway, not a perfect answer, but helpful for me.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds like a less firm solution than the medical grade support hose.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

I'm still using them and really like them. When the RLS feels very severe I often pull on two "stockings" on each leg, one of top of the other one. I know they probably aren't as tight as medical grade support hose, but they are very comfortable and easy to put on, so I'm sticking with them for the time being, anyway.

badnights

Post by badnights »

nice
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.